Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Rear Trunk Floor Panel and Brace Identification

Registered Member

Member #:4353

Rear Trunk Floor Panel and Brace Identification

So I am traditionally a pickup guy, just got this '55 hardtop project and I have been able to identify and find all the parts I need through catalogs but a couple. At the bottom of the trunk near the bumper, the lip and lower support brace. Can anyone tell me what these are commonly called in catalogs so I can complete my parts list?

Thanks in advance!Rear trunk pan panel and support.jpg

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The hat shaped piece that visible in the center left is the tail pan brace.
    The part at the far right is the tail pan.
    Then there is the trunk floor, hope that's obvious.
    The small part in the center is the trunk latch striker support. The trunk latch striker bolts to it, it's not there.

Order of components bottom to top is
    tail pan brace
    trunk floor
    tail pan
    They sandwich together with spot or plug welds. The tail pan brace sits on the rear of the frame with a body mount cushion on each side.

Good luck, you have a lot of work to do! Use the frame as a jig to fit everything up. It's a good idea to use sheet metal screws to hold everything together for the fit up. Then you can start plug welding, removing screws to do a plug weld as you go. Spot welds on the original pieces were about 3" apart.

Registered Member

Member #:4353
    Thanks on the order. I have done so many trucks and I can recite the order in my head to anyone, but this is my first run at this so all the help is a +++. I do have a question that is puzzling me after I did a rough cut away of the drivers side quarter panel. I have never done a quarter or panel that was supported around a wheel well with a rubber seal ( the stapled rubber seal on the inner fender well). Is this all that supports the inner quarter structure? How weird!