Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Axle Bearing Removal

Member #:516

Axle Bearing Removal

Hello All,

I'm working on the rear end of my '55 and I'm going to replace the axle bearings. I know they should be pressed off, I have a hydraulic press but I don't think it's big (tall) enough to handle them. I'm wondering if there's any other way to do it? Anybody?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You could split the lock ring, and then the outer race and inner race in that order, with a hammer and chisel. Be careful and wear PPE as those pieces will shatter.

But here's the real rub. If you can't press the bearing off, you probably can't press it back on. So why not take it to a shop that can both remove and install with a proper press?

Hello Again,

I took my axles to a shop to press them off he ended up burning them off. I couldn't press them off because I didn't have a bearing separator/Splitter. Now I'm going to press them back on, has anyone heated the bearings to help get them on. Does anyone have any tips to make the job easier? Thanks.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    My 20 ton rebuilt in USA HF works fine for this job, no problem with heating locking rings, the old timer who taught me preferred it. Heating bearings sounds like a bad plan to me. I would have no problem putting axles in freezer. I don't know if it will work but cant hurt.

Member #:3217
    I'm in agreement with MarkM re 'would not heat a new bearing to get it on... except for perhaps putting in the sun for awhile... certainly NO torch type heat...

Thanks You all, I might try the sun thing can't hurt! Stay Safe!!!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    one in freezer, one in the sun might work.

Registered Member

Member #:1911
    Way back in the day before I knew what a press was we would break the old bearing apart and hammer and chisel the old bearing off and using the inner race of the old bearing drive the new bearing on. Then drive the old inner race off.