Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: which clutch fork do i have ?

Registered Member

Member #:3303

which clutch fork do i have ?

when I bought my 57 Bel Aire in 83' the owner told me it had a 327 vette motor … Two motors later.... my clutch fork is causing problems. It is flat and made from aluminum I think , grooved out on the linkage end to accept a bladed fork end on the linkage. The original replacement in Danchuck is stamped steel and is bent in the middle, not flat. ??? What fork do I have and why has every thing changed after SBC to SBC to SBC ??

Member #:3217
    Photos of the forks you're questioning might help someone to give you a response...?

Registered Member

mountain MAN , don't have that technology

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The original clutch forks were stamped steel. The 55-56 forks were similar, but if I remember correctly they are slightly different. The 57 fork is different from 55-56, using a clevis pin to attach the lower linkage rod. All have a bend in them. I think a flat fork may hit the firewall before the clutch is fully disengaged - at least some will.

I've never seen an aluminum fork. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that it wasn't a common item for any year or model.

Registered Member

My bad, it is not aluminum, its cast steel. I went by the NAPA store this morning and the clerk looked on his computer for the fork I took in and could not find it anywhere. I saw 8 to 10 pics on line at the store , nothing matched... Last resort I'm going to Danchuk to purchase the factory fork