Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone make a stock location 1/2" Fuel Sending unit / Pickup for a '56?

Registered Member

Member #:3529

Anyone make a stock location 1/2" Fuel Sending unit / Pickup for a '56?

I tried searching the forum and the internet and have been unable to locate a 1/2" fuel sending unit / pickup and return for my 1956 Bel Air. My car is tubbed, the frame rails are moved inboard as such and my stock tank has been modified as far as the fill location are concerned. Currently the fuel is picked up from a sump that has been added to the stock tank. I'm not a huge fan of the sump or the visible plumbing associated with it. I would like to put a stock tank back in the car, although with a modified fill location (in trunk floor) since the frame rail makes is impossible for the filler neck to meet the tanks stock fill location. I realize that I could buy an aftermarket tank, but would rather not spend $600+ for one of those when I could get away with $300 or so for a new tank and a 1/2" pickup/return. On my '67 Camaro I had used RobbMc, but all of their products use a locking ring style base plate and they do not have the ability (at least at this time) to manufacture a bolt on style unit. Wondering if any of you have found a source for this type of item. I know the price difference may not be huge, but I'm in the middle of a divorce and every penny I can save goes to the lawyer these days.

Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.27.54 PM.jpg

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Currently the fuel is picked up from a sump that has been added to the stock tank.
    I think you hit on it here. Plumbing from a sump is the logical solution if you think a 3/8" line from a stock style setup is not sufficient.

What are you using for a fuel pump? The stock style setup works fine for a mechanical pump. Not so good for an electric pump, as they are no good for suction. What is your power level? You may want to consider an in tank electric pump, with baffles.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I think you hit on it here. Plumbing from a sump is the logical solution if you think a 3/8" line from a stock style setup is not sufficient.

What are you using for a fuel pump? The stock style setup works fine for a mechanical pump. Not so good for an electric pump, as they are no good for suction. What is your power level? You may want to consider an in tank electric pump, with baffles.

Current motor is a 454 with 315cc Edelbrock RPM heads, 10.5:1, never had it on the dyno, so not sure. My butt is guessing 650ish, I'm back and forth on adding a 150 shot. Car has an M21, Ford 9" with a 5:1 rear gear. I have a 427 sitting on the engine stand that I would like to complete for a power adder once all my drama is done. Not sure what power adder yet. As much as I dream of having a twin turbo car, nothing looks better than a blown big block sticking out the hood of a trifive. Then again, what my car really needs is a Gear Vendors Overdrive before it gets more power. It screams on the freeway with the combination of the M21, the 31" tall tire, and the 5:1 rear gear. I guess you are right, I will have to continue down the road of having a sump in the fuel tank, or eventually switch over to an in tank setup. Currently I'm running a pair of Holley blue pumps which are loud as hell. A pair because I trust them to get me home as much as I trust my soon to be ex wife to not try and take my retirement. One is backup for the other, I alternate which pump I use just to keep them used. Once they do go out, and they will, I would like to switch to something a little less loud. Not sure what, I guess in tank would be best, but besides that I see mixed reviews on everything else.
    You know, its funny, I have this car thats tubbed, ladder bars, it's got a big block. I'm afraid to take it to the track because I don't want to put it in the wall if something goes wrong. My 20 year old self would kick my ass... I'm only 43, how life has changed. After the divorce I better go find myself again.

Member #:1723
    That is a gorgeous car, very nice stance! Sounds like your setup will set you back in your seat!
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:571
    At your power level, 2 blue Holley pumps are not overkill, they are necessary. The blue pumps are simply not that big.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I run the original 1955 fuel tank with a 1/2 fuel line. I have it plumbed to a rear facing sump that is welded in. I have an oem style 5/16 sending unit for the gauge only, no fuel flows through line.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I run the original 1955 fuel tank with a 1/2 fuel line. I have it plumbed to a rear facing sump that is welded in. I have an oem style 5/16 sending unit for the gauge only, no fuel flows through line.
    Yes, same for me. I'm just not a huge fan of the view of the plumbing from the rear.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    At your power level, 2 blue Holley pumps are not overkill, they are necessary. The blue pumps are simply not that big.
    Agreed, when they do go bad, I will probably upgrade to a fuel injection pump and run a return from my regulator. When I had my tank out recently to fix an issue, I welded in a return fitting since I had it out and knew it would head that way someday.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    That is a gorgeous car, very nice stance! Sounds like your setup will set you back in your seat!
    Regards, Doug
    Thank you, she does get quite a few thumbs up when I'm out and about. Here is a picture from the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sikryd; 05-07-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by sikryd View Post
    Yes, same for me. I'm just not a huge fan of the view of the plumbing from the rear.
    Funny, I kind of like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast