Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: wrong spread from x -pipe

Registered Member

Member #:3303

wrong spread from x -pipe

Exhausting situation !! I purchased a "Magnaflo" system from a socal Tri Five company. Santa Ana... It is a clamp together system w/ X -pipe , made for a 57' Bel Aire, 2dr hrdtp. Now the New BluePrint SBC is in with the new long tube headers , the spread on my headers is wide enough at the collectors to put the inlet pipes in between , cleanly. I've never had a X pipe system before, this system " Says " you can cut to fit certain sections , that is not the problem here... it's simply not wide enough , whats up ? It's probably at least 4 to 6 inches to narrow … Head Scratcher

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Some photos of what you are dealing with would help.

Sounds like you need to add some straight tube between the X and the bend forward of it. This will also move the X back a bit.

Registered Member

Member #:3303
    thanks Rick, I'm mocking that up right now , using the 5.5 inches that I cut out for the " cutouts ". my thoughts exactly - lengthen the pipe from the X before the bend to widen the inlet pipe . I should not have to " widen " the X pipe according to install papers . B. S. !

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    From the two posts you have on this exhaust it sounds almost like they sent the wrong kit. I know not all headers will exit with the same spacing between them. In fact I’ve had some that exit at different levels. Talk about extra work. Cylinder heads can have a lot to do with it.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    4-6" off has nothing to do with the cylinder heads. Thing is it can be fixed. The other thing is you'll never be able to buy a "bolt on" system that will bolt on, because this stuff (headers and pipes) is not made to exacting standards - and it's difficult to do anyway.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Next time forget the x pipe and go for the tried and true dual exhaust. Much higher chance of it actually fitting the car. In all honesty I can’t see an x pipe design as rigid as it is fitting and existing car with headers without being custom made under said car. Some welding and cutting is inevitable.

And raised exhaust port heads does position headers different, not 4-6 inches but not the same.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    4-6" off has nothing to do with the cylinder heads. Thing is it can be fixed. The other thing is you'll never be able to buy a "bolt on" system that will bolt on, because this stuff (headers and pipes) is not made to exacting standards - and it's difficult to do anyway.
    Add in motor mounts, crossmember design and a ton of other variables.