Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1957 belair wagon headlinner colors.

Registered Member

Member #:3799

1957 belair wagon headlinner colors.

My friend is re-storing a 1957 Chevrolet Nomad for me, and I am going to paint it the Tropical Turquoise, and the India Ivory roof. The interior will be the Turquoise. I know that they color coded the headliner's on the Nomad's, so the headliner will be the Turquoise color. My question is did they also color code the headliner's on the regular 1957 Belair wagon's? I have seen 1957 Belair two door hardtop's with color coded headliner's but not the regular Belair wagon's?

Member #:3217
    I think the difference between Nomads and other BelAir wagons/sedans in 1957 was the different material used (not the color). Wagons/sedans used a cloth material in the headliner (but still color coded to the interior), whereas the Nomad headliner was a vinylized material...

Registered Member

Bama, have you ever seen a regular 1957 Belair wagon, with a Headliner Color other than white? Or if anyone else out their in the Tri-Five world has, please let me know. Thanks Dom
    Last edited by nomad; 05-30-2020 at 04:46 PM.

nomad: I cannot 'accurately' answer the question for wagons. I was under the impression that a BelAir wagon and a Belair sedan would be outfited the same. I have a '57 sedan in two tone blue which has a blue cloth headliner.

I'll check and see what I can find out re BelAir wagons...

Member #:615
    I looked it up in The Classic Chevy International Restoration and Judging Guidelines Manual. For the 1957 Model 2409 (Bel Air) and Model 2429 (Nomad) Station Wagon headliners were all textured vinyl. For both models of Belair wagons the headliner colors were in silver, yellow, red, light green, light blue, light turquoise and beige. White was not a listed color for Bel Air wagon headliners. My '57 Belair wagon came with a beige and copper interior and the vinyl headliner was beige.

Thanks Tabasco!

I judged at CCCI International Conventions for years, but I guess I never judged an original restored 'regular' BelAir wagon... but I should have thought to check the Judging manuals I have. It does make me wonder why they used vinyl in the standard 4-dr BA wagon, but cloth in the BA 4-dr sedan, when the seats and door panels are the same between those models??

Just checked the Ciadella website for original '57 BA 4-dr wagon headliners also.. it confirms what the CCCI judging manual states:

1957 Chevy Bel Air Station Wagon Headliner.
    This headliner is cut and sewn specifically for the 1957 Bel Air 4 door Station Wagon. Using our original reproduction small "Chain" pattern embossed vinyl. With all installation listings attached. Available in all the original colors. Extra sunvisor & post Chain pattern vinyl included. Available in several colors of chain pattern vinyl, including ivory, although not an original color used in the 57 Bel Air Wagons.
    $179.00
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 05-31-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Registered Member

"1957 Chevrolet belair Wagon's Headlinner"

Bama , for you to be stumped is a really good sign, that Chevrolet might not have colored the headliner's in a regular 1957 Belair Wagon. This only makes the Nomad that much cooler! The difference that you mentioned in the Headliners material in a Nomad is also a very cool thing. For the Nomad the vinyl material, seems to really pop. When Chevrolet painted a 1957 Chevrolet Belair in Colonial Cream, which look's like light yellow, they always paint the dash black, and the steering wheel, steering column, and gauges in the silver. The Window Garnish Moldings 's are Black all around back to the Dash. This is contrary to rule , and how I am going to do mine in the Tropical Turquoise , with the India Ivory Roof, Nomad that I'm having Re-stored. The Headliner in the Turquoise color , will be really cool !

I get stumped pretty often and have to go to my books! In fact, even more than I used to as I don't even know as much as I used to!

Where are you located, nomad? and who is restoring the car for you? Hopefully you will tell us more about yourself and your car in an upcoming post..
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 05-31-2020 at 06:36 AM.

Registered Member

Tabasco, and Bama thank you for the help. First thing I have to get this ; classic Chev International Restoration and judging Guidelines Manual. This Chain Pattern Vinyl Headliner Material , is beautiful. When you see the Colonial Cream 57 Belair , with the dash in Black, instead of light yellow, and the Steering wheel and Column , and Gauges in the Silver it looks so much better than if these item's were painted all light Yellow. I wonder if they did this with the Tropical Turquoise too? It's way to much Turquoise looking out over the Turquoise Hood.

Registered Member

Bama, I am in Westchester NY. My best friend Bob Sekelsky is restoring the 1957 Nomad for me. He is a Commercial Artist , and was the Head of the Art dept. for " HBO " in Times Square NY, for over thirty years. He has had at least 6 of his restorations featured in Hemming's Classic car magazine. His 1958 Chevrolet Impala made the cover. If I could ever figure out how to send pictures, I would send to the Tri-five some picture's of his Oil painting's . He specializes in automotive Art. he will never say look what I can do, so I have to say it for him.This Nomad that I have is body number 6274 produced about August 28th and is 260 car's from the end of the run out of 6534 built. John Chamber's told me that some might have been made in very early September to finish up.
    Last edited by nomad; 05-31-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast