Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass

Member #:3249

Glass

Got my glass in from Auto City Classics yesterday, all 8 pieces. Got gray tinted. I'm hiring the front and back out, but a friend and I are going to tackle the flat glass ourselves. Any tips to get the quarter glass out (and new glass in) on a 2 door sedan?

So, glass guy was out yesterday. Back window is beautiful. Front windshield was shattered in the box. Auto City Classics says too late to file a claim. Shame! Couldn't help it that the glass guy was quarantined with Covid 19, just back to work on Monday. He can source another windshield, but it's green tint, not gray. Gonna have to pop for another windshield.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    that is a shame about to late to file a claim.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:3217
    So you received MORE than the 8 pieces of glass you ordered, but you didn't open the boxes to inspect??

One more lesson that it pays to inspect ordered parts as soon as they are delivered.. Your reported the breakage slightly more than a month after receipt.. Did they tell you what time frame would have been appropriate? 2 hrs? 2 days? 2 weeks? or ??

Well, I'll put it this way, Bama. I opened the box with the flat glass, all was good. I opened up the boxes with the front and back glass, saw how they were packaged, suspended in bubble wrap, with cardboard frames, and saw no damage to the outside of the boxes. I'm a little down on strength with cancer issues, and thought I might chance breaking the glass myself fighting it out of the box. Hindsight says I should have risked it. Lesson learned. Got to order a new one today.

I certainly don't blame you for not removing a windshield from it's protective box/crating. All I'd do in that situation is open the top of the crate and *inspect* the glass in the crate... If that was what you did and you missed a 'crack', then I think you have reason to be upset at AutoCity... or the shipper...

That's what I did. I highly doubt it was Auto City, I'm not trying to bad mouth them at all.........I'm sure it was the shipper. My glass guy wanted their contact (autocity) info. He was very impressed with the glass and the crating. He,too, looked at the boxes and said that everything should be fine with both pieces. we pulled the windshield out together and set it on his stand, and peeled the final layer of bubble wrap of to discover the problem.

Member #:530
    I got a full set of glass for my Nomad from AutoCityGlass too. It was OK when it arrived, but they do wrap the snot out of each piece with bubble wrap...so...you do have to take each piece fully out of the box in order to unwrap the bubblewrap. So I feel for ya man. That could have happened to any of us. Just order the replacement windshield in grey and move on.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Ordered yesterday. They did discount the windshield! That took some sting out of it.

On a brighter note, The back glass is installed, as are the quarter windows, so I can put the interior back in. I hate fighting the back seat, should get it together today. I really like the look with the gray glass. I should get a tracking number today, and get the glass next week. I'm expecting to be able to drive the car again by the end of the month..........finally.

I'm a fan and proponent of the original E-Z-Eye (green) glass - I think it reduces the most harmful of the sun's rays and I LIKE the original look), BUT with the colors of your car, I have to admit that the gray tint will look nice...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast