Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: New here and need a little help... Anyone know what these numbers mean?

Registered Member

Member #:4392

New here and need a little help... Anyone know what these numbers mean?

Hi all. Any help on what these numbers mean would be greatly appreciated. My dad just gifted me with this car and I am trying to find out what engine is in it. He was told that it is a 265... It is in a 55 Bel Air. Thanks in advance!20200611_190836.jpg

Member #:3217
    The first number there (0095754?) is the Engine serial number (1955 265's was the first V8 with and engine serial number and may have been the only year (I can't recall if '56 engines had the engines serialized or not?).

The second number code there: T55F is the engine application code: The 'T' tells us the engine was cast and assembled in the Tonawanda NY engine plant. The '55' tells us the model year (1955), and the last 'F' in the code says the engine was a 2-bbl 265 ci engine with 2 barrel carburetor, and was installed wtih a Powerglide transmission.

The engine is certainly an 'original' one for 1955!

There is no 'date assembled' stamping for 1955 engines (it has the serial number instead), but you can ascertain the date your engine block (and heads, etc) were CAST (generally from 1-10 days or so ahead of assembly) by checking the casting date code on the rear of the engine block. Your engine block will have 'casting number' of 3703524, which is the only v8 engine block Chevrolet ever cast which doesn't have facility for an integrated oil filter mounting. The Casting number and the cast date for your block are both on the rear of the block one on each side. For 1955, an Oil Filter was *OPtional*; if your engine has an oil filter, then it will be mounted to the top front of the engine, bolted under the thermostat housing with small dia tubes carrying the oil to/from the engine. It's easy to change the oil filter on a '55 engine but can get messy! If your engine has the externally mounted oil filter housing, then we'd be interested to know if it is painted 'black' with white lettering, OR if it's orange/blue??

Good luck with carrying on your dad's task of maintaining his '55 BelAir~ If we can help please let us know!

Registered Member

Member #:4392
    Thanks for the info. I'll be on the hunt for the other stuff. Thanks again Bama!

Member #:3217
    I meant to add that in some states the 'engine serial number' is USED on the titles/registrations rather than the VIN for the vehicle; apparently this was due to the fact that auto manufacturers were just beginning to apply VINs to automobiles at that time. Check your title/registration to verify how the car is registered~

Registered Member

Member #:625
    A 55 model 265 will not have a block mounted oil filter and the temp sender is on drivers side in rear by dist. These items are unique to 55.