Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: My first TriFive

Registered Member

Member #:5246

My first TriFive

Hi, I did the intro, thought I would follow up here, hope this is the correct spot. 56 265 three speed O/D. 78510 miles.
    Picked this up from my buddy that lives a few blocks from me. His dad bought it about 2010 for investment and it sat in a storage container in central CA, driven once a year. My buddy towed it here to the Pac NW April of 2022. It started and ran but had no brakes. So he had me do a complete brake job, new lines, dual master cyl kit, all the hydraulics. It has sat in his shop since.
    Last week we made a deal, I had a 51 Diamond T fire engine he wants, so we went over to his shop pick up the car. It was 5 degrees outside, not sure what it was in his unheated shop but it was cold. I got in and it started after some ring gear grinding and blew out a spark plug. Put the plug back in and started it up, only shifted 2nd/3rd. I think the shift tub is froze. So I got it home, in first gear, got it on the rack, removed all the plugs, half were finger tight and had gaskets on them? Weird.
    I put a post in the suspension area about blown rear upper shock mounts, that is first on my list. Pulled the trans/flywheel, going to turn the ring gear around.
    Plan to remove the motor and reseal it. Leaks bad.
    Not sure what to do about the seats yet, I think they are original. Will need the fronts for sure, hope so save the rear. Probably time to remove the plastic wrap.
    On the body style tag I do not find that trim 583 listed on the web sites.

It has had a repaint, unknown when. I will post pics.
    Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:530
    What a great find! just do the basics to get it running and stopping and drive it a little before you dive into more upgrades. And check the date codes on the tires. If they are 10+ years old, you may consider new tires before you drive it too much.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:5246
    Thank you for the reply, WagonCrazy, and the good advice. My buddy towed it home from his father's place in Central CA in April of 22. He had me do a complete brake job on it, at that time, including new brake lines, wheel cylinders and a dual master, while he went and put new tires on it. I did a complete LOF on it and that is about all as it was running fine. It has pretty much sat in his shop the last year and a half, he would start it once in a while. Now that it is in my shop I am finding some things that need more attention. Like upper rear shock mounts, spark plugs finger tight, some with gaskets on them?, ring gear a bit chewed up, leaking pinion and a leaking rear main among other things.
    So I need to finish rebuilding the hydrovac for his fire engine and get that out of my shop so I have room to work on my new ride.
    I will update progress as I go along, I guess this is the correct thread to post updates? Please let me know if I am in the wrong spot,
    Thanks again,
    Steve

Member #:530
    you can put the updates in here if you want.
    Or if you have topical questions to ask, then start a new thread in one of the other forum sections.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.