Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Mom and Dad's '57

Member #:4399

Mom and Dad's '57

Hi to all. Thank you for allowing me to play. Try not tobore too much. As stated in intro we have come in possession of my Mom and Dad’s’57 Two Door Hard Top Belair. Unfortunately of the years it has been stolen andrecovered twice. Hopefully no more…
    Back story is that when dad was just out of high school hescored a 1957 Two Door Post, 150 model. One piece frame, fuel injected, etc.Thinking close to a Black Widow but he never confirmed. Mom and Dad getmarried,and he decided it best to get safer car for new family, Corvair Spider….(Found out later mom never really forgave him for this. But Understood). Fastforward to 1981, has the chance to by 1957 Two Door Hardtop from gentlemanacross town. Claimed he bought for daughter’s graduation. She thought car wasugly. Thankfully for us… Around spring of 1984 I was assigned to wash the car.When got all done noticed the floor on the driver side was soaking wet. Go telldad, get yelled out for “leaving window down”. Really? Come to find out the nutholding the Windshield Wiper was cross threaded and not sealing properly.Anyways we take interior aprt and find rust floor board underneath. One of tworust areas on whole car. That lead to series of going to do this and that withthe car. So basically hasn’t been under power on the road since summer of “84.
    Fast Forward again to 1990’s dad goes to storage unit wherecar is supposed to be, but is gone. Somewhere around 2000 he get gets call frompolice car has been found, It was returned with addition of some yellow paint.Seals car in back yard. Around 2013 my mom had total of three strokes. So sheand dad move across town to care facility. Around 2015 the house catches fire, destroyingcenter portion of house but still standing. Unfortunately was where most of theinterior trim for car was. At the time of attempting to get house taken careoff I have accident going to work one morning. Broke back in three places andout of service. Contract company to take over fixing and selling house with onecavet that the car was to be secure until I could retrieve. Well, that didn’t goas planned. So now I had to recover car second time. This time firewall cut upand few other alterations.

Sorry so long winded, now to the fun stuff...

Project Plans???

Now to plans, since so much is needed to bring back to stock, thinking of doing homage to ‘60s style but with 2020 flair. If I can convince wife, hoping to stay with Turquoise and Ivory color scheme. Little twist to interior colors though.Left front.jpgRear End.jpg

Have a Curry 9” Ford Style Rear End (albeit with 5 X 5 ˝ Bolt pattern). 59” flange to flange. Thinking of setting up with Truck Arm suspension and Coil Overs. Front would be C-3 Vette spindles and tubular A-arms. Keeping stock frame but with center section to straighten.

Going back and forth on powerplant. Either buying old school 350 to mate with the 400TH we have or trying to find 6.0L with 4 speed auto. Propably replce firewall with smooth 4" recessed unit. then seeing where that leads too???

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    good read, thanks for sharing Slim. going to be a cool family heirloom.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

My bad, rear end by Currie Industries. (Guess I was hungry thinking food...)

Danchuk 1.jpgDanchuk 2.jpg

Found some interesting things in the rumble of my childhood home. Everything intact. Few less items to worry about...

Member #:3217
    Hearing about, and seeing you 'rejuvenate' your long term family project is going to be very interesting to all of us here!

Can't wait to hear/see more....

Banned

Member #:2941
    I'm digging those wheels, Slim! They look like the optional 15" X 7" Chevelle wheels I scored in 1978 at the weekend swap meet that used to be held days at the drive in movie in San Diego. They went on my Poncho powered '56. You should have seen me waiting at the bus stop on Rosecrans and hauling all 4 wheels onto the bus for the trip back home to the sub pier......

Good luck with your build! Look forward to hearing of your progress as you proceed.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    Kool! give it hell!

Member #:4411
    X2! Thanks for posting the story.

Member #:530
    Welcome to the party! Nice to have ya. Good that you posted some pics and history. Always interesting to see what others go thru with their cars.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.