Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Install Bumpers ?

Registered Member

Member #:4419

Install Bumpers ?

Just recently got my re-chromed original bumpers back from plate shop in Tulsa, Ok. VERY pleased I went this route rather that with re-pop bumpers. Was not cheap but so far nothing has been on this restore. Most of the times good isn't cheap and cheap isn't good.

Any tips or info about installing these would be much appreciated. Have the brackets bead blasted, primed and painted, hardware is soaking in Evapo-rust solution to clean. Other than protecting the chrome and body paint with towels wrapped around bumpers any other precautions one should take? Thinking would be best have another pair of hands to help since these aren't exactly light.

Loose assemble each piece, mount the bumper brackets, loosely bolt to the frame member and then swing up into position to fit, slowly tighten each bolt, checking fit and clearance?

Member #:4426
    Dualfours, Sounds like you have done this before. The bumpers are indeed awkward to mount without a second pair of hands. The bumper can get away from you when you least expect it. Please post a picture after the bumpers are installed.

Registered Member

Actually I never have installed a set of bumpers on a tri-five before. When I bought my 57 the front bumper was removed and body shop that did the body repair removed the rear bumper. Just have spent a bit of time reading all I can on various posts about bumpers. When I installed the bumpers on my '71 Chevelle which are also a pretty fair sized chunk of steel for the rear bumper I used plastic milk crates to hold the bumper up in place while I inserted the bolts. Worked out fine, thinking possibly do the same with the 57. With the 57 bumper being a 5 piece assembly thinking that a loose assembly would work better and then tighten when in place.

Thinking also of replacing the standard stainless steel bumper inserts with the rubber tip inserts. Any thoughts there, can they be installed at a later date or must the bumper be removed again to install them. Not sure there is enough room to operate a ratchet when bumper is installed on the car.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You can use a similar process to the one you used on the Chevelle.

I would put the rubber dagmars on before installing the bumper if I could. I would also consider tightening all bolts for the multiple pieces before installing. After all, they made "one piece" bumpers and they go on fine if everything is straight.

Member #:4411
    Tape up the edges of the bumpers all around to keep, or at least attempt to keep, from messing up the paint or new chrome. you really do need two hands for this job. Assemble all the brackets onto the bumpers and then the fun begins. If you are using the original brackets from the car, and the original bumpers from the car, and those items looked good adjustment wise before you took them off, your job will be easier as you will not have much adjustments to make to the brackets. If you are using new brackets, or sometimes bumpers from another car, then you may have to install a couple of time because you might have to enlarge or elongate certain of the bumper mounting holes on the brackets to get the bumpers to adjust to where you want them. Its a big pain truth be told but you just have to dive in an do it. If you are lucky, you wont have to do anything except move it around a bit and tighten. But really, to make the job easier and smoother, you need at least one extra pair of hands, preferably two extra pair.

Registered Member

Rick, okay, you talked me into it, LOL. Ordered a set of Danchuk rubber bullets last night. Figured would be best to have them on hand when start to put the bumpers together. Won't be able do the install until after get the 57 home from the interior shop but by that time hopefully this upper 90s close to the triple digit crap will subside. At 71 years young I don't do heat and humidity near as well as when I was 19.

Dragsix, thanks for the tips there on the bumpers. Thinking will wrap and tape the bumpers with some some closed cell bubble wrap for each piece. Prime and paint the backsides and set them aside until the interior is finished. Also have to have the front and back glass installed. Have a guy lined up to do that who is familiar with the old pull the rope style of glass installs. That is getting to be a lost art, at least to most of the local every day glass shops. Squirt a bunch of butyl sealant in the opening and press the glass into place isn't quite as demanding as the rope method.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Ever since I got my 2 post lift and tall screw jack stands jobs like this has been much easier for my old bones.