Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No keys for my 56

Registered Member

Member #:4366

No keys for my 56

I have no keys for my 56. I can't remove the ignition switch without a key to find the lock number . I understand a lock smith can may key with this lock number. On a 56 is the door key the same as the ignition key? What about the trunk? Thanks, Stan

Registered Member

Member #:571
    If all locks are original, you can get the code from the door locks or trunk lock.

If you can find an old locksmith, he may have a key that will work well enough to remove the ignition lock cylinder. Reputedly, back in the day, dealers had a set of 14 or 15 master keys that would unlock anything.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    When I got my 56 in the early 70s it took two keys. I got all locks and a matching key from a 56 at junkyard. Fast forward 35 years to my 55 no keys, I removed all locks and had them keyed to same key as my 56.

Member #:3249
    I did the same, had all locks re-keyed, now one key does it all.

Member #:4411
    I know this is an old thread but I just got here. Can anyone walk me through how to post photos from my iPad. I have some nice photos of Code cutting a key using a Curtis key cutter.

Member #:3217
    Mike, posting photos here is a little bit different that the other site, but not drastically different. You have more *options* for that if you Go Advanced (down below the message area - just click it and the options expand). I think I did a detailed run thru for someone recently if I can find that post I'll link it..

So for anyone who may not know, our Trifives were delivered with all the locks actuated by a single key. So ignition, glove box, doors and trunk all used the same key. The style of this key is commonly known in the locksmith community as a B-10 style key.

To get replacement keys, You could go to the dealer and they would “code cut” you a new key. What this meant is that the dealer had a Curtis code cutter, code book, and if he had your code could cut you a key without needing you original key.

This is a Curtis code cutter and Curtis code book.
    Last edited by Dragsix; 07-04-2020 at 07:55 AM.

The code cutter uses Various combinations of cams and carriages to cut various types of automotive keys. This is the cam and carriage for the GM B-10 style of keys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The door locks and ignition lock all have a four digit code stamped on them. This is a door lock (sedan). You look up the four digit code in the Curtis book and you get a corresponding six digit code.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You then insert the blank key, use the thumb knob to move the carriage into the start position, squeeze the handle and the tool clips one part of the key. You then use the knob to rotate one place forward, squeeze, and repeat until all of the digits are cut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast