Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Help please Bel Air Big Block install questions

Registered Member

Member #:4251

Little Help please Bel Air Big Block install questions

Installing a Mark V 454 in the 55, what oil pan and engine mounts should I be using?

Stock Steering in car and upgrading to the CPP power steering box, what headers can I squeeze in there that have 2" primaries?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    There are several ways to do this. The best one IMO is to use the Earle Williams engine mounts and place the engine 3/4" forward of stock. Earle Williams has a good set of headers too, but they are pricey. They will clear a power steering box.

With the 3/4" forward mounts, you will have to slightly modify the firewall for clearance for the valve covers. Stock location mounts, you have to modify a lot more. There's also mounts that put the engine further forward, but you'll have oil pan clearance problems and it will get crowded in the radiator area. Any BBC swap will need the radiator in front of the radiator support.

Milodon makes a Mark V/Mark VI pan that will clear the steering link. Sorry I don't have the part number.

Registered Member

Thank You Rick, I did order the Milodon pan, Pricey but I have used their stuff in the past, it has always been top shelf.

I will call Earls shop in the morning and ask about the mounts and the headers.

Due to the fact I am using Brodix heads, and will need a tad mo0re height then the stock valve covers I hope I can find some information on what exactly I will need to do to the firewall.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Earle does offer some pieces and parts for modifying the firewall, but they are not necessary. They are as much for smoothing the firewall as they are for fit. Best way to figure out what needs to happen is to get the engine mounts and oil pan and do a trial assembly, marking where you need clearance. A little work with a BFH will fix you up. Tall valve covers just mean you may have to move the hammer work higher up. The amount of work needed is not huge, you do not need to cut anything.

Member #:4432

BFH

My two cents,
    Rick L is spot on! I put a 1969 454 in my 55 Nomad. Stock steering and pan for now. Earle W. headers are a great fit, Just clears the ps box. Hooker headers did not! My motor mounts moved the beast 3/4” forward. Yes, a bfh did the rest.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I went 2.25 forward and left my BFH in toolbox. If you could find them 1.5 would work.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whozmad View Post
    My two cents,
    Rick L is spot on! I put a 1969 454 in my 55 Nomad. Stock steering and pan for now. Earle W. headers are a great fit, Just clears the ps box. Hooker headers did not! My motor mounts moved the beast 3/4” forward. Yes, a bfh did the rest.
    Are you sure about that year.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whozmad View Post
    My two cents,
    As far as I know, no such thing as a 69 454. It was introduced in 1970.

Earl called me back and is building me a set of coated headers. ( I use V bands on my builds and never use the 3 bolt flange style mounts) He is also sending me his motor mounts, and a firewall patch kit I can cut and weld in to clear the valve covers. He gave me a part number for a Milidon oil pan and pick up that I ordered from Summit.

Registered Member

I too believe 1970 was first year of 454. Moroso also makes pans for swap, I have three of them.

Member #:3217
    The 1970 model year was the First models to put the 454 ci engine (Chevelles mainly).. but those began being produced in the Fall of '69, and some of the engines were likely cast/assembled in summer of 1969, and the DATES on those blocks would be dated in the 1969 calendar year! So all you guys are right, and perhaps WHOZMAD is also, since if he had one of the early engines.. separated from the car it would not be necessary to identify what model car it came from... just the cast date ...

PS. (Stirring the crap a little... ... the best use of those heavy BB's is as boat anchors!~
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 07-11-2020 at 09:00 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast