Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Bumper Protection?

Registered Member

Member #:4419

Bumper Protection?

While the 57 is getting an all new interior have been thinking of the best way to install my newly plated original bumpers. Don't want to ding the new paint or the new chrome so....? Thinking about wrapping the front chrome face of the bumpers with painters tape at the edges and 1/4'' bubble wrap on the face. That or painters masking tape across the entire bumper face. Which would give the best protection for paint and chrome. Will be priming and painting the back side of the bumpers as they were blasted before the chrome process. Any tips or thoughts appreciated.

Member #:3217
    I doubt you'll harm the chrome from the installation process, BUT the bumpers can surely scrape up the paint near where they install. I'd concentrate on protecting the paint from the bumpers... maybe a couple of layers of masking tape around the fender areas where the bumpers go... just lay a movers blanket on the floor to protect the bumpers prior to getting them up and in place...

Member #:4399
    I would be tempted to apply at least one layer of Painter's tape along the edge of the bumper. Split 50/50 on outside/inside surface. Concentrating on the areas mostly to contact paint. Then put one layer of duct tape over that as a cushion. As well two layers of tape of the corresponding paint area. with overlap of second layer at mid width of first. Agreeing with Bama that paint would be far easier to scrap or chip. (But thinking that is well known so sorry for stating the obvious. ).

Member #:516
    I would say don't do it alone, get a helper!!! On all of the car building TV shows they put tape on the body to protect the paint.

Registered Member

Member #:4419
    Thanks for the replies and tips. Think having extra hands is a very good idea. These bumpers were made with real steel in them back then, LOL. Don't think I want to attempt to install on my own. Thinking I will prime and paint the backsides since they were glass beaded prior to re-plate and then wrap in bubble wrap for the time being until ready to install. When ready for the install will remove the bubble wrap and use a couple layers of blue painter's tape on chrome and around the paint areas. That won't be until after the interior is finished and the front windshield and back glass are re-installed.