Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Air conditioning compressor

Registered Member

Member #:2602

Air conditioning compressor

Hi Laslo
    I have a chrome, rear hose connection compressor that looks identical to the one on your car. My one was purchased in the US with pulleys and mount brackets ,.when it was gassed and switched on the pulley belt squealed and I turned it off and was told to replace the compressor.The serpentine belt was tight enough .I was told it was a cheap compressor .Just wondering what brand you are using and if you have run the unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bow tie downunder; 03-01-2024 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Better photos

Member #:115
    My compressor is a Sanden and I got it from Street and Performance several years ago. Tour brackets and idlers look exactly like mine so I guess you may have bought yours from them too? I have not had a chance to run it. When I tried to run the engine to charge it, the engine wouldn't run right. It ended up being a project in itself to change the entire EFI system out to a TerminatorX.

Sounds like your compressor may be seized. I have been worried about that happening to mine since it's been sitting so long. I was told it's full of oil when I bought it so I might try energizing the clutch momentarily to make sure it turns. Hope this doesn't turn into another huge project.
    Last edited by chevynut; 03-01-2024 at 03:52 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2602
    My compressor does not have a brand name or identifying marks .When I ran it it cooled and worked fine for a while then started to cause the belt to squeal.I could pull it apart and have a look at the seals ,but would ask the manufacturers first .If yours identifies as a Sanden I will contact them .I also replaced the alternator would not charge the battery and I had to modify the power steering to stop it leaking .Am happy with the brackets and pulleys and overall looks .If you have any more info on the compressor I would be grateful.
    Once again thanks for your help
    Mick

Member #:115
    I'm pretty sure that's a Sanden compressor and it looks just like mine. After quite a bit of research I determined mine is a Sanden SD7H15 4764 with a Style M rear exit head 5632 with Rotolok 1" ports. I also have the receipt from S&P.

Here's some good info:

https://www.sanden.com/productlibrar...uide_Rev_2.pdf

https://atc.ca/wp-content/uploads/Sa...ompressors.pdf

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax