Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Air

Member #:4409

Vintage Air

Can anyone recommend someone in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, that you had a good experience with, to install a Vintage Air A/C into my ‘55 ?

383 Stroker, 700r4, Ford 9”

Member #:4426
    IMG_1413 (2).jpgIf you are mechanically inclined, and cannot find a shop to install a/c, do it yourself. I had never installed a/c in a car before installing a/c in my 68 Camaro which was a non-a/c car. Had to read the instructions six times. Scratched my head a lot. It was time consuming. Took it to a shop that evacuates and charges the system. The shop owner asked if It was my first time installing an aftermarket a/c system. I said yes. He quoted me $125 to evacuate the system and charge it. He replied, we'll know soon if you did it right. Thirty minutes later, he said "by Golly it blows cold. I'm only charging you $110 as a professional courtesy." He liked the concealed custom made hoses to the firewall. So, give it a try if you like challenges and want to save $$$.

Member #:225
    I did mine as well. It was rather challenging especially since my car was effectively "done"... lots more stuff to work around, especially getting the stock defrost ducts out (Mr. Sawzall helped with that).
    This said, careful study of the instructions, and a good dose of patience coupled with some basic skills will prove fruitful, and save considerable $$$

Member #:615
    You can go to Vintage Air Website and click on "distributors". You put in your zip code and it will tell you who is local to you. It will tell you if they are installers or not.

Member #:3249
    I agree with Chevy Chase. I had never installed AC before I did it in my 71 Chevy pickup. Took some time, and, yes, rereading the instructions a number of times. Since then, I've put in a 56 Studebaker wagon, my 66 Chevelle, my 56 210, and will soon be doing my son-in-law's 67 Chevelle. It gets easier every time, but the satisfaction of doing it yourself is worth it. Give it a go.
    P.S. remove the front seat to do it, I'm too old to try and work around it.

Member #:3217
    Agreed! I didn't have room in my garage to remove the front seat when I was reworking my Vintage Air, so I just undid it and 'moved it back' as far as I could - til it hit the rear seat! We old guys need a little more space and minimizes the contortions we have to go thru!~

Member #:3454
    I used McCains in Richardson for years. Great and honest folks. I just looked them up and they have been bought by Davis Automotive. They still get very good reviews. Here is a link. https://www.mydavisauto.com/

Registered Member

Member #:2425
    Has anyone used vintage air’s serpentine drive systems. Especially the mid version along with their vintage air system? How is it ?

Registered Member

Member #:5246
    I just ordered the vintage system, about 4 to 6 weeks delivery. Going with the V belt and will DIY while I have the seat out for covers.

Registered Member

Member #:2425
    were you at nearly $3500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast