Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1957 Chevrolet ; Roller/verses taper bearings

Registered Member

Member #:3799

1957 Chevrolet ; Roller/verses taper bearings

Hello , my friend is restoring a 1957 Nomad for me completely stock, for the most part . I am going to upgrade to the Power Pac option. Anyway I have heard that the Timpkin Taper front wheel bearings, would make a nice improvement without being visual. I have heard that the inner and outer races are available to do this . Has anyone done this ? do they like the difference? I will be keeping the no space 57 only wheels on the car. What about the Radial that looks like a bias ply, would the tires make a difference weather to go to Roller verses Taper? Also can I keep the stock Spindle's?
    Last edited by nomad; 07-19-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Member #:3217
    Yes, you can keep the stock spindles.

Yes, the later version tapered roller bearings are superior to the original 'ball bearings' with the predominant difference being durability and livlihood. and Yes, I suspect everyone who has ever made the change LIKE the change..

and Yes, running radials (even the ones that simulate the original wide whitewall look) is a certain driving improvement.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What you need is the front hubs from a 61-68 full size Chevy. They are also beginning to appear as reproductions. You also use the bearings listed for those hubs. They bolt directly to the stock spindles and can use the stock brakes. Be aware that the bearing adjustment is not the same for ball bearings vs. roller bearings.

Member #:4426
    When the conversion to tapered roller bearings is almost done, "The spindle nut needs to be tightened to about 15-18 ft lbs of torque. Notice that this is a lot less than the original ball-type bearings and this is one of the reasons why these bearings will last much longer. Spin the drum assembly while you are tightening the spindle nut to the proper setting. Back the spindle nut off one flat and install the cotter pin. You will be extremely happy in the long run for the conversion"

Registered Member

Thank you again , for all your knowledge. I was hoping that the same 1957 spindle could be used, but 1961-1968 is a lot of Chevrolet car's ,and the fact that they have a quality re-po 61-68 spindle , and it dose not change the ride height , or appearance seems to make it worth it . Here are a couple of Mods that I could come up with on a 1957 Chevrolet that seem to be worth it , and don't change the appearance of the car. 1- Go to a Neoprene rear main seal on the 1957 V-8 283 motor. 2- Stainless Steel Hardened seats on the Exhaust side with a Stainless Steel Exhaust valve. 3- Possibly brass freeze out plugs.4- Possibly re-pro Corvette Ram Horn Exhaust Manifolds, only if this dose not change the placement of the stock engine pipe. 1957 Power Guild Transmission install a vent breather on the tail shaft , to stop leaking, like they had in 1958.
    Last edited by nomad; 07-21-2020 at 04:46 AM.

Registered Member

The 61-68 spindle is not the part you want, it is the hub that attaches to the spindle.

Wondering 'whose' 'quality repro spindle' nomad is referring to?? Hopefully NOT CPP?.... I just don't TRUST any reproduction companies/parts for critical parts of my car; I want Chevrolet designed/manufactured!

Registered Member

Again, no need for a new spindle, the stock one is used with this mod.

I understand Rick.. but the OP may not. I was concerned over not just this mentioning purchase of a spindle (when he doesn't need one), but his reference to a 'reproduction spindle' was concerning to me...

Registered Member

You guy's are the best ! a hub it is ! And since this hub is going to have new inner, and outer races pressed into it I assuming a good used genuine 61-68 Chevrolet Hub will work just as good . Bama if I could somehow get your e-mail , I have a lot of pictures of this restoration. My e-mail is domenicmamone@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast