Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Front Bumper Jack Support Braces?

Registered Member

Member #:4419

Front Bumper Jack Support Braces?

I have a total of three original 57 bumpers, original one from my 57 and two that I purchased as spares. Both spares that I bought have a tri-angular brace or added bracket which after some research I found it is a brace for using the original 57 bumper jack. Just a question here but does anyone
    re-install them during a re-build/restore? My '57 never had an original bumper jack when I bought it and maybe that is the reason for no braces? Were they installed on ALL 57 bumpers on the build line or are they a dealer option? Not really planning on installing them on my re-chromed bumpers since I see no time I will actually use a 57 bumper jack. Are they required for a "points" show?

Member #:3217
    Anything that makes your bumper stronger helps to protect your sheet metal in an accident... after all, isn't that what bumpers are for?

Registered Member

Guess it would make sense then to install the bumper jack braces even tho I don't ever plan on using an actual bumper jack. Never trusted those things years ago when that was all we had to use. They work but only for intended use with a flat on the road, never for working under a car but have seen it done. Guess will spend a little time cleaning the braces and prime and paint. Have one broken off bolt shank in one brace I need to drill out and chase the threads.

Post a photo of those braces when you get a chance so that we all can be sure of what you're referring to...

Registered Member

Drilled IMG_3399.JPGIMG_3400.JPGthe broken bolt shank out of the weld nut and chased the threads on all the holes. Now to run braces thru the bead blast, prime and paint. No braces from the factory on the rear bumper?

Those are only on the front bumpers....