Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks

Thread: National Ice Cream day today...

Member #:3217

National Ice Cream day today...

I've been reading that in advertisements each time I sit down in front of the computer, and here it is 9 pm before I'm able to sit down with a bowl of Maple Walnut...

Member #:2941
    Yum! Some homemade Vanilla over hot peach cobbler sure would be good about now.

HB
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Staff Sergeant Roy Benavidez......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=466s

Member #:530
    Thanks for the reminder. Headed for that Rocky Road in the freezer...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:4399
    Bring back memories of eating grandpa's homemade vanilla ice cream out of a ice cold late season cantaloupe... (We would get the raw milk from an old man not far from their house). But did resort to Breyers vanilla and some Sea Salt Carmel syrup tonight in celebration.

my wife just told me that Thursday is 'National Vanilla Ice Cream day'... so if you missed yesterday.....

Registered Member

Member #:3454
    I bought two gallons of Blue Bell yesterday and we all had some last night. Good stuff.

Member #:4404
    My wife and I went out yesterday antiquing. We stopped at a local creamery and bought some ice cream. Supporting a local business.

Member #:2941
    Slim when I was a kid, I loved making homemade ice cream. I got to turn the hand crank, so I got to snitch some rock salt every now and then and chew it up. Just the thing on a hot summers day!

After our family moved up to the Texas hill country in the early '60s, my Step-dad built our home there. I remember he worked as a carpenter for the company he hired to build our home. So he got a salary and was there to keep an eye on the crew and make sure everything was done properly. After work, he would go around hammering in extra nails here and there.

Bought some land from the farmer who owned the acreage there. We moved in in the summer of 1964. It was on a rocky piece of ground better suited to growing cactus than anything. We had a small, scrawny peach tree out beside the barn though. Poor thing couldn't get roots down very far in the rocky ground and never got over 6 ft. tall. But every year, we would get enough fruit off it to either make a couple peach cobblers or a couple batches of peach ice cream. Yum!

The old house is still there and I went to google and pulled up satellite and street views of the area. The barn is long gone, as it got rickety and my folks had me drive up from Houston in the '70s before I went back in the service and pull it down. Had a '68 Buick Wildcat with the 430 engine. Big heavy car and it would pull like a freight train......

Wrapped a chain around the corner post of the barn and pulled it right down. Loaded the lumber onto a trailer and hauled it off. Took me most of the day working by myself, but I got it done.

Mom passed away in the house she designed. Step-dad was in hospital with a terminal illness at the time and passed 5-1/2 weeks following. Sis and I sold the house to a black preacher who had a young wife. I remember at closing, he didn't trust banks. So he brought the mattress off his bed with him. Had his money sewn into it. Cut the side open and fished out enough to buy the house. He was quite a character. Have no idea who lives there now, but the old house looks just as it did except that someone in the years since has hauled in about 8" of top soil and has a nice lawn now. And it looks as if its had new shingles put on. The original roof lasted a great many years.

I recall that my Mom and Step-dad had 3 layers of 90 lb. felt underlay and the heaviest asphalt shingles they could buy put on. I think they were about 350 lb. a square. That in addition to the roof being a steeper pitch than most nearby seemed to work well together. When that roof was over 40 years old, it was still holding up well. By then, streets had been put in and a whole subdivision had sprung up where there had been nothing but a huge alfalfa field when I was in high school. An occasional hail storm would blow through and a great many of the newer homes would get new rooves. But not our old house. I attributed that in part to hail hitting our steeper roof at a glancing angle rather than dead on as it would the newer, flatter rooves. But I reckon the heavy shingles and underlay and really solid decking and structural support beneath had a lot to do with it, as well.

Best regards,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 07-20-2020 at 04:54 PM.
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Staff Sergeant Roy Benavidez......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=466s

Homemade peach ice cream is one of my family's favorites...