Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1957 2d wheel size for dropped front

Registered Member

Member #:4460

1957 2d wheel size for dropped front

Hi! Im new member and starting to build my 57 in few months. Im gonna drop the front 2" with spindle and gonna bag the whole car. Would love to put 18" in the front and 20" in the back. What kind on back spacing and tire size would fit there? Also doing 4 link kit in the back.

is it necessary to install drop spindles if i put bags? Would love to get it on ground when not driving

This is gonna be ls swap car with 4L60E transmission. Gonna smooth the firewall and install disc brakes around the car.

Thanks for anyone who shares their knowledge!

Banned

Member #:2775
    I'm in the same boat, but trying to figure out 18 inch F/R tires and wheels for a C4 55 with a LS, and a 460E. You must have a test wheel, and tire to start, and probably a couple more with the issues I'm seeing on mine. It's a nightmare, especially when your only choices are cu$tom made wheels. I'm trying to push mine outboard, and a 56mm offset Corvette wheel seems too far inboard. Nothing to choose from off the shelf except zero offset wheels, which is way to far in the opposite direction. All the wheels I like push them outside the body, which is one good thing about my Camaro running like a minus 30 offset on 15 x 10 inch wheels front, and rear with a really wide stable track. Scrub radius is way outside the window, but it drives, and handle great. I'm stuck with custom wheels probably in the 30-45mm offset range which is not available on any production cars with a 4.75 inch bolt circle.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 07-27-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Timo, I would use the dropped spindles if you want the ride height while driving to be lower than stock. It would also put you 2" closer to the ground when all the air is out of the bags.

A starting point on the front tires/wheels would be a 7" wheel with 4.5 or more backspacing, and a 225 wide tire. In the rear, it would depend on whether you do a mini-tub mod which would enlarge the room for bigger tires, as well as what the rear axle width is if you don't use the stock axle.

Registered Member

rear axle width is about 62", axle from 1975 malibu station wagon. The four link allows much more room for the back tires, but the fronts are the ones that worry me.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Timo, I would use the dropped spindles if you want the ride height while driving to be lower than stock. It would also put you 2" closer to the ground when all the air is out of the bags.

A starting point on the front tires/wheels would be a 7" wheel with 4.5 or more backspacing, and a 225 wide tire. In the rear, it would depend on whether you do a mini-tub mod which would enlarge the room for bigger tires, as well as what the rear axle width is if you don't use the stock axle.
    gonna look for 18"x7" rims for the front with 4.5"bs to start. Gonna put steering stops if they rub. Thinking of ridler 650 black/polished rims around the car

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post

I have found many possibilities for the front rims. Is 18"x7" with 5"bs too much? Its stock front end with disc brakes so they come little 1/4inch out from stock location. Theres also the 4.5"bs version from good looking rim

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I would look for another rear end if that one is the same as a 74 Malibu SW. Not only too wide but a odd ball, not a traditional 8.5 ten bolt. Not supported in aftermarket at all. Ten bolt cover 12 bolts on ring gear.

Member #:4426
    Quote Originally Posted by timo pajala View Post
    gonna look for 18"x7" rims for the front with 4.5"bs to start. Gonna put steering stops if they rub. Thinking of ridler 650 black/polished rims around the car
    timo, I love the wheel Ridler 650 blk/polished. That design has been around awhile so I'd say it is time-tested. Ridler's website has a wheel visualizer so it allows you to see it on a trifive Chevy. Back spacing is limited though. Pricing is very reasonable.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Chase View Post
    timo, I love the wheel Ridler 650 blk/polished. That design has been around awhile so I'd say it is time-tested. Ridler's website has a wheel visualizer so it allows you to see it on a trifive Chevy. Back spacing is limited though. Pricing is very reasonable.
    i love that wheel also and it looks really good in 57! Hope the bs is something i can handle and buy those for my car!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I would look for another rear end if that one is the same as a 74 Malibu SW. Not only too wide but a odd ball, not a traditional 8.5 ten bolt. Not supported in aftermarket at all. Ten bolt cover 12 bolts on ring gear.
    Thank you very much for this! I looked this and you are right, really nightmare end to buy parts and theres no posi for it either so mooving to something else, gm 8.5 or 9"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast