Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: body removal from frame

Registered Member

Member #:4460

body removal from frame

Is it necessary to weld reinforcements in to the car for lifting body from frame or is it solid enough that it wont bend? I have 2 post lift and wondering if i can lift from the rockers? car is sand blasted and there is no holes etc on the floor and so on. Im gonna weld braces to the chassis and but 4link rear and air bags etc so much easier to lift the body off and gonna paint the floor under in the same process also.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    If you have a sedan or wagon, you won't need reinforcement. For a hardtop or convertible, it's best to reinforce the door opening down the car's length as well as side to side. You can place the lift arms under the rockers. Use something between the lift arm and the rocker to prevent bending the pinch weld that holds the outer rocker to the inner rocker. A 2x4 or a piece of square steel tube will work fine for that.

Member #:3217
    I second what Rick has said... I've lifted many bodies off with only a 2x4 under the rockers to spread the load (cut it to the length between the wheel wells... (I should qualify that is with the front end removed and all removable parts already removed from the body to lighten the weight)...

Banned

Member #:2775
    I haven't tried it, but I've seen many complete body's lifted by the rockers. I do know that on an empty 55 2dr shell that the heaviest, and balanced part is right about the B pillar, so you do have to try and spread out the lift points as much as possible.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 07-30-2020 at 03:25 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    One thing you can do with the 2x4 is route or saw a slit in the board for the pinch weld flange to sit in.

Banned

Member #:2941

Timo, as others have said...... Reinforce the body if you have a hardtop or convertible. If you have a sedan or station wagon its not necessary unless the lower body (rockers, floor pan, etc.) is rusted to the extent that it has lost structural integrity.

And yes, as Rescue Dog noted, the balance point will be very close to the B-pillar on a 2dr sedan. I lifted the 2dr sedan body in the photo above using a heavy timber run from B-pillar to B-pillar with a heavy chain secured to it and shorter pieces of wood cut to fit on each side to span from A-pillar to B-pillar to keep it all in place whilst lifting.

Nomad wagon...... I don't know. If you have a Nomad, check with someone who has pulled a Nomad body off the frame before proceeding. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck,

Harry

Registered Member

Member #:4460
    Thanks for everyone Who shared their konwledge! Im gonna put the 2x4 just Incase and i have 2d post model