Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: T-stat Housings-Different but same PN ?

Registered Member

Member #:4419

T-stat Housings-Different but same PN ?

I have two straight necked thermostat housings with the same part number but do have a few differences. One has has the part number on the round dome covering the t-stat and has raised bolt mountings thicker than the base. This one has a pronounced casting ridge separating the dome. The other has the part number on the mounting flange and has two recessed pockets cast into the housing along side the bolt holes. Both have been bead blasted and primed. Thinking I may keep one but don't need both besides the one currently on my '57.

I also have a heavy cast iron straight neck thermostat housing with the numbers 1595 cast into it? No idea about it at all but appears to be same basic configuration but is cast iron.

Any info on either of the three housings would be appreciated. Also a value would be helpful. I certainly don't need all three besides the one on my '57.

Member #:3217
    Photos....???

Registered Member

Pic of the two thermostat housings. Same part number from GM but notice the difference at the mounting holes? Just curious, maybe different vendors or is one an early offering and the other a later offering from an engineering change? Both in very nice condition, will most likely keep one as a spare and offer the other to the parts board. Any idea what is a fair value? IMG_3420.JPG

Banned

Member #:2941

The thermostat housing on the left is the one I remember as being OEM on these cars, Dualfours.

If both are in the same condition, I would suggest keeping the one on the left as your spare and selling the other.

Value is an elusive thing at times. FWIW, I recently bought a few thermostat housings off e-Bay. NOS and NORS in original boxes (either cast-iron or aluminum) were going for $20.00 - $25.00 apiece.

Good (non-pitted) used cast-iron thermostat housings were going for $15.00 - $20.00. I did not find any non-pitted aluminum housings, so didn't make a note of asking price for those.

Same parts advertised on the HAMB are usually about $5.00 cheaper.

Hope this helps,

Harry

Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Harry. Will keep one and next swap meet I set up at will offer the other for $20. Think it would be better to leave just in the primer or maybe paint it Chevrolet Orange? Not sure just when next swap meet will be. Most of the meets and car shows have been cancelled or postponed to later dates because of the CV-19 thing. Been having withdrawl symptons because can't get my car show/swap meet fix, LOL.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualfours View Post

...Not sure just when next swap meet will be. Most of the meets and car shows have been cancelled or postponed to later dates because of the CV-19 thing. Been having withdrawl symptons because can't get my car show/swap meet fix, LOL.
    ... This is the FIRST YEAR in nearly 50 yrs that I haven't attended swap meets and car shows during the spring/summer... I hope this is the LAST such year without our car show fixes...

Banned

Member #:2941
    I'd just leave it in primer, Dualfours. Whomever buys it can paint or powder coat it to match their engine whether it is one of several OEM colours or a custom colour. Or smooth the prominent parting line before painting it if they've a mind to.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and thoughts on value. Will just keep one and tag the other for the next swap meet I set up at. (When ever the h*** that is) Sure do miss not going to car shows or swap meets. My BIL and I usually go to the Pate swap meet at Texas Motor Speedway in late April. It was postponed until first weekend of Oct. Now with the way things are going not even sure that will happen.