Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear end centered?

Registered Member

Member #:4460

Rear end centered?

This might be stupid question but anyhow, is the pinion centered In 1957 bel air? Im ordering New rear and want To know before buying anything si i dont have trouble with wheel fitment.

Member #:3217
    No question that you don't have the answer to is ever a 'stupid question'...

I happened to have a complete '57 rear end lying on my shop floor, so I went out and used my tape measure to confirm the following:

"As close as I can determine with a tape measure ... it IS centered, or very close to being centered! There's probably information somewhere that will tell you exactly, but from my measurement you could consider it so for practical purposes!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Regardless of whether the pinion is centered the housing must be centered.

Member #:3292
    Order the new rear end with the pinion centered.....

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Buzzard View Post
    Order the new rear end with the pinion centered.....
    Good plan, get a Strange 60 or Moser 12 bolt 60 wide, if stock width is desired.

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    I like the strange s60 FWIW.

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    i remember in my `55, i had more room on one side for tire clearance, than the other!,,,,,,,,,,,,,factory.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Wave View Post
    i remember in my `55, i had more room on one side for tire clearance, than the other!,,,,,,,,,,,,,factory.
    That is not the *design*... but there are 'tolerances in everything, and since there's no 'positive location' of the rear (just leaf springs and bushings wtih wear they can begin to move a little...

note: factory parts wear out too... How NEW was your car when you noted that discrepancy?

Member #:4078
    Remember these cars were not perfect coming off the assembly line, so yes there could differences from side to side tire clearance. And if the body has been removed and replaced by someone else, that could make a difference also depending how ell they centered the body on the frame.
    Retired USAF

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    well, i first noticed this when i bought my `55 in `96. so, i wanted a 12 bolt for it. i go to a rear end guy told him what i wanted. told him i have measurments for him. he went on and told me he had them. then telling me, asking me if i actually wanted factory specs. told him yes. he then told me all were off center. so, since `96, i have been putting my fingers under the wheel wells of `55s. and all are off center. meaning more space on one side than the other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast