Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: GoPro video with the camera mounted inside of a moving tire

Banned

Member #:2775

GoPro video with the camera mounted inside of a moving tire

I found this video very interesting. I had no idea of what a tire looked like from the inside while moving, and how it shows dynamically how it deforms and reacts to the road, and the car. At the end when the tire gets deflated in slow motion you can see the water vapor escaping with the air. Pretty cool. It shows how important the tire pressure can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rILyBg7ZjeI
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 08-05-2020 at 06:05 AM.

Member #:3217
    Thanks for posting that video, RD.. I also found it interesting as the relationship of 'tire pressures' to tire temperature and 'tire life' is an interest of mine.

Obvious (to me at least) is that the deformation of the tire as it rotates with the weight of the car on it, is what causes a rise in temperature of the rubber in the tire, so also obviously is that the lower the tire pressure the MORE the tire deforms as it rolls and the MORE the tire's temp increases. This is exacerbated when the frequency of rotation increases (ie. speed of the car increases). In the video we only see one section of the tire as the 'weight load' transitions thru that section, causing it to deform, but this is happening continuously around the tire as it rolls with the car weight on it.

I tend to maintain my tire pressures at or near to the maximum of it's rating for this reason with the logic that the higher the pressure, the less deformation and lesser temperature rise. The converse of this was demonstrated in the Ford/Firestone issues of a few years ago, where Ford and it's buyers wanted a 'smooth riding' car, and lower pressure gives a smooother ride (but higher tire temps and reduced tire life). I've always been amazed that Ford was recommending 28 psi for their tires!! It was obviously to promote that 'smooother riding Ford'...

Banned

Member #:2775
    Tire pressure is a big thing to me as a certified private tire installer. It's all a balancing act, and as far as most GM cars for the last 30 years have specified 30psi for almost all of them. They size the tire with the correct load range for the vehicle it supports. So just running max sidewall pressure is not going to conform to the road, and some passenger are rated for 51psi. It jars the suspension, and puts less rubber on the road. You need to adjust pressures according to the published load inflation tables. It basically comes down to the volume of air inside of any given size of tire. A smaller tire than specified will need more air, and a bigger tire less. It also is a lot of trial and error on modified vehicles to get it right, and takes some testing for the conditions it will be driven at.

IMG_8509.jpg

Member #:3217
    The only time I've ran pressure up to 50 lbs was when autocrossing or slaloming or road racing.

For the street or highway, I run between 35-38 lbs in most of my cars.
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 08-05-2020 at 07:08 PM.