Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 57 Rear Bumper Sections?

Registered Member

Member #:4419

57 Rear Bumper Sections?

I just recently had my original GM '57 front and rear bumpers re-chromed while the interior is being restored. Boy, this restoring a tri-five don't come cheap, LOL. Very pleased with the results but sure put a dent in the wallet. Regardless of that fact, I am wondering are the rear center sections for the 57 two door sedan and the 57 wagon interchangeable? Meaning can a 57 wagon rear center section be used on a 57 two door sedan? That would give the wagon styled rear license plate mount position and would no longer mount the plate to the trunk.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    They should be interchangeable.

But, I've seen a lot of comments about real 57 center sections (not necessarily sedan vs. wagon) being different widths. On top of that different outer pieces being different and not lining up with the taillight assemblies. I'm no expert here but I do think this happens regularly with mismatched pieces. So pay attention.

Member #:3217
    The issues we hear about re rear bumper ends on '57s' are mostly associated with the reproduction ends and bumpers...

Member #:3249
    I don't know for sure on 57's, but that's what I did with my 56, and everything went fine.

Member #:4411
    Yes you can and that was a thing at one time, moving the plate from the trunk to the bumper with a wagon swap. I have a trunk lid on a 4 door sedan that an old friend did back in the late 70s. You have to smash in the dimples on the 57 trunk and finish it off.

Registered Member

Member #:4406
    If you use the wagon center section, you will need the wagon bumper guards,(which have marker lights or some other means of having a marker light to be legal, just consider that.

Registered Member

Member #:4419
    Think for the time being I have decided to continue with my original re-chromed rear center section and fore-go the wagon center section. I can get the center section shipped all right but then it will still need the re-chrome process and still need the bumper guards for the tag light. Have looked and an LED after market lighted license plate frame is available I know but the interior is more important $$ to be spent. Priorities I guess, LOL.