Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Power Question: Battery Terminal type...???

Member #:3217

Electrical Power Question: Battery Terminal type...???

I haven't yet decided what type of battery I'm installing in my car, and I'm still undecided whether to use top terminal or side terminal. I'm pretty certain I want to install a slightly smaller battery in the factory ('57) location by modifying the battery support.

1. What do you fellas say? Side terminals are less susceptible to corrosion issues, but are a pain to put a charger on with a cable disconnected.

2. What do you fellas suggest re having a disconnect/charge terminal, separated from the battery ??

Any/all suggestions appreciated. Photos help to explain your situation...

Banned

Member #:2775
    With a good sealed battery you shouldn't have any corrosion issues with a top post, but if you wanted to use side terminals you could always use these bolt on posts to connect them. A disconnect is a good thing to have too.
    IMG_8563.JPG

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I prefer a dual post battery when ever possible. Best of both worlds.

Member #:516
    I've always been a fan of side terminals. I just received two that I ordered for my '55.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    There are advantages to both. That's why a dual terminal setup like markm mentioned is a good thing to have.

Member #:3217
    Do you fellas have any specific battery suggestions which incorporate both terminal types? The orientation of the + / - terminals don't matter much since it's 'custom' and I can run the wires the way they need to be...

Banned

Member #:2775
    If you want both terminals Optima makes one.

Registered Member

Member #:1631
    Bama,

I've been hooked on dual-post battery configurations since I discovered them a decade ago; I really like having auxiliary terminals to connect high-amperage accessories or a charger. My dual-post battery of choice has always been the Optima red top, and I have had great success with them. My first Optima is going on six years of service now (in my 47 Plymouth) and the one in my 56 is two years old.
    Cheers!

Ken in SSF
    56 One-Fifty Two-Door Sedan

Member #:2442
    The battery I had in my 55 (before I re-located the battery to the trunk) which fit in the original battery tray had both top posts and side terminals. I can't remember the group number but I still have the battery. I will look at it tonight to see what it is. Not an optima battery, I think I bought it at Batteries Plus.
    Brian

Member #:1723
    Bama,
    I configured my battery setup more like you mentioned in the first post. I had installed a GM serpentine pully setup with the R4 AC compressor, so an originally sized battery wouldn't fit. I friend sectioned the minimum required piece out of the original tray, and welded it back up for me.
    IMG_1610.jpg
    The narrowed tray allows the use of all the original tray fasteners.
    I found the AGM battery shown below had good specs and reviews (including a direct one from a tri-fiver on another site), and fit the narrowed tray nicely:

I didn't care for the big, fat logo on the top of the battery, so covered it up, and this is how the final install looks:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast