Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 8.5" Rear End

Registered Member

Member #:4473

8.5" Rear End

I have a completely rebuilt rear end for a 1957 Chevy. Trying to figure out a value on it. Have been doing research to find what I need but am finding mostly 9" very expensive units. Obviously not a good comparison.

Specs on the rear end: 10 bolt, posi-traction, 8.5", 3.75 gear, 54.5" from backing plate to backing plate. Includes wheel cylinders; brake lines, shoes, and drums; and emergency brake cable.

Any input would be appreciated.

Banned

Member #:2941
    Howdy from Texas and welcome aboard, JHaverty! What is width of this rearend measured from wheel mounting surface, drum to drum? Have spring perches been welded on that will locate it properly and at correct pinion angle in a '55 - '57 Chevy? What was it originally installed in? Is posi unit OEM or aftermarket? Has it been narrowed? What diameter and width brake drums? Why are you selling it? And where are you located?

Thanks,

Harry

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Sounds very wide, I believe on of the narrowest 8.5s is the 72-74 Nova at 60 overall or the 71-81 Camaro at 61. They are tough because I have owned a bunch of Z28s equipped with them and never broke one.

Member #:3217
    I paid $700 for a similar 8.5" unit with POSI from a '72 Nova with 3.08 gears a couple of years ago, and I had to remove the original spring perches and weld on ones to fit the trifive springs.