Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Build Update Pics

Member #:4375
    Thanks!

Some Final specs:
    Engine: Summit Racing Gen-3 LS 5.3L SUM-150153, Summit Racing Pro LS Roller Cam, 799 heads, 10:1 compression
    ECU: Ultimate LS FiTech fuel injection system, 92mm throttle-body, drive by cable, with Transmission control
    Transmission: 4L60E with LoKar floor shifter
    Brake System: 11" Four-wheel disc brakes with JEGS 555-631250 Electric Brake Booster and Master Cylinder
    Rear Diff: 3:25 posi
    Power Steering: Rack & Pinion
    Suspension: Front sway bar, pocket rear suspension-leaf springs, 2 inch drop spindles, 18 inch Rims
    A/C: Vintage air
    Gauges: Dakota Digital
    Interior: Front 6-way low-back bucket seats, camera console, seat-belts, rear bench, leather.
    Wipers: RainGear 2-speed
    Fuel Tank: Standard, modified to use FiTech in-tank fuel pump/regulator & 1956 filler cap location
    Other: Smooth bumpers, Convex side-view mirrors, Cruise control, electric exhaust cut-outs & Smoked Glass

NOTE: I will admit the one change I would make is a bigger fuel tank. Not going to do that now, but will at a later date.
    Last edited by 55Jim; 12-30-2023 at 10:33 PM.
    Jim

Member #:3
    55JIM

What a beautiful Car , Great Color ,great Stance & one more thing least you can drive it

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Dente View Post
    That engine's tilted so high that it looks like it would just clear the hood, if at all. It's a good thing that it isn't using an original oilbath aircleaner. It might just be an optical illusion from the angle of which the photograph was taken, though
    Yes that was just a mock-up as was the wheels and some other stuff from that picture.

ENGINE STORY:

So the 1st engine referenced above was a L83 (LT 5.3) from a Chevy Truck with low miles (less than 35K if I remember right). This engine was completely stock... same manifold, same intake, same Cam and OEM ECU. All we did was re-tune it. Found one guy who was pretty good with the LTs and that bad boy pulled on dyno 435 lbs of torque at the rear wheels. Great low and mid-range torque! (I have always been a fan of truck engines in muscle cars.) It felt like a big block and would light the tires at 70mph with ease with the 3:25 rear-end. My wifes SS Camaro couldn't pull away from that engine below 100mph and that car is scary fast. That engine was amazing and my first experience with direct injection on a hot rod. I wasn't really looking for that kind of power because this car was suppose to be a cruiser, but it also got better-than 19mph with my foot in it, so, best of both worlds right! The DI offers some interesting performance.

However, this was also the first time the builder had ever dealt with the LT DI engines and we had fuel issues. He had talked me into the engine and said he would eat the development cost and I said sure. While we were working thru the fuel issues his tuner got hired away and left the state. Now understand this was during all the covid crap and we were having a hard time finding a good tuner for the LT engine in the area. Eventually found one and they did several tunes several times trying to work out the kinks.

Anyways long story short... they blew up the engine. After that I decided to just go back to the LS since that was my original plan in the first place. Summit Racing had their LS327's in stock (not Summit's name, my name.) I call them that because GM Performance had some early LS 5.3's they sold under the LS327 moniker, so I decided to borrow it because I liked it and because my Grandfather had 327 Impala back in the day which I loved to drive.

So I am enjoying the LS327 and it is more in line with my original plan, but it does not hold a candle to the L83 when it comes to torque. The LS327 is cammed so all of its torque and HP happen on the high end of the RPM band. It is a little screamer. I ran her up to 120 before I ran out of room and she does her best work over 6K RPM. The engine is a little lopey and sounds cool and cruises great.

With all that said, I have another build in me down the road (thinking 57 this time) and I want to try the L83 or the L8T (if I've got enough money) in the new build. The tuners are getting better with the LTs and more parts are being developed. Scoggin-Dickey seems to be a leader in the LT market and I am watching their stuff with interest. So we will see.

The picture of the engine with the FiTech intake/thottle-body is the LS327. The engine I am running now.

j
    Last edited by 55Jim; 12-31-2023 at 11:40 PM.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 567chevys View Post
    55JIM

What a beautiful Car , Great Color ,great Stance & one more thing least you can drive it

Thanks Sid

Thanks Sid! I appreciate it.

Yes driving it is nice. They have the suspension dialed in and handles as good on the interstate as it does the back roads.

jim
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by redmanf1 View Post
    Wow, what a nice build.... What size wheels & tires??
    FRONT: 225/45 R18

REAR: 235/45 R18
    Jim

Jim

Jim

Below is the L83 that blew up. We pulled 435 lbs-ft Torque at the rear wheels. Stock ECU, manifold and intake. Just tuning. Unfortunately lost my tuner and the new guys weren't so good with LT's

ab006.jpg
    ab007.jpg
    ab008.jpg
    Jim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234