Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Update Pics

Member #:4375

Build Update Pics

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    going to be a cool ride, thanks for sharing Jim. what you do after lunch?
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:4399
    That is on the way to being on very nice ride. Thanks for sharing!!!
    Last edited by Slim57; 08-26-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carls 56 View Post
    ...what you do after lunch?
    ?
    Carl, not sure about the "reference" to lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Slim57 View Post
    That is on the way to being on very nice ride. Thanks for shrinking!!!

Thanks for the compliments guys!

j
    Last edited by 55Jim; 08-25-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:4482
    Nice looking car. Love the color choices. You are at the fun stage of the project. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 57fleetside View Post
    Nice looking car. Love the color choices. You are at the fun stage of the project. Steve
    Thanks Steve. Kicked around a few ideas on paint. Originally I was thinking a matte black color scheme. Hot rod black always appealed to me and I have never had a black car. I also have never had a red car. My wife has had a black car and a red car... but not I

Anyways after much discussion and thought, I decided to combined the 2 colors into a two-tone scheme and do a clear coat pure-black over a metallic red. I figured the metallic red could sparkle in the sun like jewelry while the black soaked up all the rays. I like the contrast.

j

Member #:3217
    Jim, I like your car also... the colors look great (but I have to forewarn you... yes, the black soaks up the sun, but it also gives up the HEAT!)..

We'd love to hear more about your car.. the engine, trans, rear, etc.. How long have you worked on it and are you doing it yourself or hiring it out? I'm thinking that you are doing it yourself and that all those other cars in the building (in the photo) are yours as well?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Jim, I like your car also... the colors look great (but I have to forewarn you... yes, the black soaks up the sun, but it also gives up the HEAT!)..

We'd love to hear more about your car.. the engine, trans, rear, etc.. How long have you worked on it and are you doing it yourself or hiring it out? I'm thinking that you are doing it yourself and that all those other cars in the building (in the photo) are yours as well?
    Gary,

You are so right, black is hot and it shows every spec of dust . Both are reasons why I never bought myself a black car. However, all the old hot rods I used to see around when I was a kid growing up were painted hot rod black... and that speaks to me. Most of my Mustangs were white with black strips or blacked-out hoods. My son one time ask me if I knew there were other colors in the world besides white? (The clean look of white always appealed to me.... as long as it had a black strip). I did inform my son I had a yellow Mustang, and a gold Mustang, with black pin strips and a blacked out hood with a Boss 429 hood scope, no less!. He wasn't impressed...LOL. I gave him the gold one (69 coupe) when he turned 16. It became Kool to him then. Black and gold was his school colors and I thought it was very cool of me. He sold it a few years ago and now wishes he hadn't. It was his daily driver for nearly 10 years, but he got himself a modern car and didn't drive the 'stang much and sold it. Now he has decided that modern cars aren't as Kool as classic cars for daily driver's. When he drove his Mustang, he got all kinds of attention, not so much with a standard run-of-the-mill modern car.

Anyways years ago I sold all of my Mustangs (6 of them) and stopped renting my shop. (I had rented a little shop a few miles from my house for the "ponies".) I never did any painting. Never appealed to me but there was a old semi-retired painter who had a shop beside my shop, so it worked out great.

Anyways due to family sickness I had to sell everything and I sized down. However, I knew I wanted a Tri-Five one day so I made sure I bought my little house with a garage for that future purpose.

I eventually sold the last of my real estate and the family members have sadly all "passed away". My wife came to me and told me to start looking but she had one caveat... I had to buy one already built and ready to go or have a custom one built. No working on it myself and renting a shop. She wasn't going to be a hot-rod widow . She had places for us to go and see on my new hot rod. I said, 'Yes ma'am'.

After looking around and not finding what I wanted, without 'modifying it', I decided to have one built. The pictures you see were taken in the builders shop. Those cars are future builds. Most of the cars they build are restomods built to take to Barrett Jackson and Mecum. They only build a few full custom customer cars. However that seems to be changing because they are getting a lot more calls for custom cars from what I am hearing.

The basic Theme/criteria I gave them for the build was to build a restomod like it could be a car I purchased new from a Chevy dealership:
    >The car is not a show car but a daily driver and must perform like one, including starting, stopping and handling.
    >The vast majority of the parts must be GM parts which I can purchase from a Chevy dealership or a national franchise parts house. (For example, not bushings unique to Ford or Mopar etc...)
    >With the exception of the Body and modified frame; all nuts, bolts, glass, trim, parts, & rear-end components are new. (One exception to this is I decided to go with an engine/trans combo with 18K miles.)

General overview: It is a 55 Bel Air post car;
    <>L83/6L80E engine/trans
    <>4 wheel power disc brakes
    <>GM Rear-End housing with new internals and ratio to match engine/trans combo.
    <>Power Steering
    <>Tilt column
    <>Frame reinforcement upgrade
    <>Front sway bar plus their in-house custom built front suspension/steering package & rear suspension-leaf spring package.
    <>2 inch drop all the way around.
    <>Vintage air
    <>Dakota Digital gauges
    <>Front 6-way low-back bucket seats with console and seat-belts and bench rear. Custom upholstery (nothing fancy but durable).
    <>RainGear wiper system
    <>Larger fuel tank
    <>LED lights, head & tail
    <>Relocate the side mounted gas door/filler cap to the 1956 location behind the tail light.
    <>Smooth bumpers
    <>Smoked glass
    <>2 tone paint job

That covers most of it.

j
    Last edited by 55Jim; 08-31-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Member #:3217
    Wow Jim... your requirements are not much different than most of us building restomod type cars, but yours should be a real dandy being built by a quality shop (whereas I'm trying to do mine in my shop behind my house!)..

Do you have a schedule for completion?? I'm looking forward to seeing it at a show here in Bama one day soon!~ '

OR the Trifive nats next year?

PS. Being in the HOT SOUTH, I tend towards White cars/trucks also.. but on our classics we have to build what appeals and triggers our pleasant memories...

Banned

Member #:2775
    Awesome. Right now I wish I could just tell somebody how to build my car, instead of me. Most of it is more torture than fun having to work on it, when I should really be doing something else, or driving it! The other problem is, that most of the stuff I have farmed out wasn't done exactly the way I thought it should have been done.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 08-31-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast