Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55/56 Ignition Switch

Registered Member

Member #:625

55/56 Ignition Switch

My 56 hits and dies, fear my original 1956 Ign. switch my have died. Who sells the best replacement junk.

Registered Member fiftysix chevy's Avatar

Member #:1497
    To be honest, I don't know if there are any sellers that support this site that we should buy from, but just search 55 or 56 Chevy ignition switch on eBay and you'll see a lot of seller options.
    Last edited by fiftysix chevy; 09-01-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I've seen complaints about the Danchuk switch. Many of those Ebay listings will be the Danchuk switch, lots of Danchuk dealers out there.

A better choice might be the American Autowire switch. It's not a true repro, because it has an "acc" position. But I personally have no experience with it. The other nice thing about it is that it comes with an unpopulated connector for the switch, along with the terminals needed. That's the only way you'll get a new connector housing without buying a harness. Summit has them for $31.50.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I would be concerned about any ignition switch when in the constant on position. It is pretty easy to add way more to that position with all of the stuff that gets added, that is wasn't originally designed for. Just adding a HEI, or MSD would be an issue. That is one circuit I would definitely have a heavy duty relay on, instead of trying to power most of the car just off of just the ignition switch that has marginal contact capacity for the added current.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 09-01-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks, not worried car has had Unilite with a 1957 Ford resistor for years. Same specs as Mallory at a 1/4 the price.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    RD, the current to run an MSD doesn't go through the ignition switch. The box is wired direct to the battery. All the ignition switch is used for is to turn it on, very low current draw, less than points ignition.

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    I bet there's still a few NOS ones out there in captivity.

Registered Member fiftysix chevy's Avatar

Member #:1497
    I've been using the AAW ignition switch in my 56 since it hit the road in 2008, so far zero problems (knock on wood). The "acc" position is a nice feature from time to time, it's just not labled on the dash, you just have to know it's there.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    RD, the current to run an MSD doesn't go through the ignition switch. The box is wired direct to the battery. All the ignition switch is used for is to turn it on, very low current draw, less than points ignition.
    Correct Rick my 55 has a big wire hooked straight to bat. post on starter.

Registered Member

Question, is the AAW switch plug and play. In 1974 when I bought this car the wiring was a hacked up mess above my talent, ability and wallet to fix right. 25 plus years later when done I swore I would cut no wires on my new harness and so far I have not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast