Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: original colors

Registered Member

Member #:4480

original colors

hello all, on my 55 Chevy belair convertible, it has a 265 engine, would anyone know what colors are the oil filter housing is painted. is a Chevy orange for the lid what color blue is the bottom thanks??? thanks guys

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I seem to recall seeing them in AC Delco blue.

Member #:3217
    The 'accessory '55 Oil Filters bought over the counter and added on later were painted blue with an orange top, BUT the ones installed in the factory were black with white lettering... the photo shows two (one of each) from my parts bin - the paint is mostly gone on the black one on the right.
    The second photo is an original LOADED engine compartment in a '55 Nomad which shows the factory black one restored.
    DSC00300.JPG
    JH 55 Nomad eng compartment.jpeg

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    good stuff, thanks Gary.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

oil filter

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    The 'accessory '55 Oil Filters bought over the counter and added on later were painted blue with an orange top, BUT the ones installed in the factory were black with white lettering... the photo shows two (one of each) from my parts bin - the paint is mostly gone on the black one on the right.
    The second photo is an original LOADED engine compartment in a '55 Nomad which shows the factory black one restored.
    DSC00300.JPG
    JH 55 Nomad eng compartment.jpeg
    wow very nice TY

Registered Member

original paint

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    hello i looked everywhere for delco blue nothing do you have a vendor who can provide correct color ty

Registered Member

paint

Quote Originally Posted by roadster601@aol.com View Post
    wow very nice TY
    hello where can i get the orange paint for the oil filter housing my 55 is a 265 also was there a filter stencil on the housing thanks

Member #:3217
    I'm pretty certain you can buy the 'decals' from most of the reproduction parts sellers (Danchuk, Ecklers, Ol '55, etc)..

White decals: https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...BoCK1QQAvD_BwE

blue decals: http://www.classicpartsusa.com/produ...BoCofsQAvD_BwE

Do you just LIKE the orange/blue colors? You can probably BUY an NOS oil filter via ebay with the correct original (over the counter colors).. I've seen them for sale many times. If you have one and desire to paint your own the orange/blue colors, then I'm pretty certain that past CCCI articles identified the colors to use. Call Ol '55 (East Coast Chevy) if you can't find the colors in the literature, OR you can use Ford engine Blue for the blue, and Chevy Engine Orange for the Orange and they will be very close... and is probably what MOST people use when they repaint.

The BEST and easiest approach is to paint the accessory oil filter BLACK and use the white decals/templates to simulate a 'factory installed' oil filter. WHY 'simulate' an OTC 'add on' color??
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-06-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Registered Member

paint

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I'm pretty certain you can buy the 'decals' from most of the reproduction parts sellers (Danchuk, Ecklers, Ol '55, etc)..

White decals: https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...BoCK1QQAvD_BwE

blue decals: http://www.classicpartsusa.com/produ...BoCofsQAvD_BwE

Do you just LIKE the orange/blue colors? You can probably BUY an NOS oil filter via ebay with the correct original (over the counter colors).. I've seen them for sale many times. If you have one and desire to paint your own the orange/blue colors, then I'm pretty certain that past CCCI articles identified the colors to use. Call Ol '55 (East Coast Chevy) if you can't find the colors in the literature, OR you can use Ford engine Blue for the blue, and Chevy Engine Orange for the Orange and they will be very close... and is probably what MOST people use when they repaint.

The BEST and easiest approach is to paint the accessory oil filter BLACK and use the white decals/templates to simulate a 'factory installed' oil filter. WHY 'simulate' an OTC 'add on' color??
    thanks for getting back to me,honestly i have the oil filter orange/blue but do like the original factory filter housing, to get a factory filter housing is like a hens tooth. if you ever come across one keep me in mind thanks again.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Honestly, I have never seen AC Delco blue offered anywhere. Its pretty close to the Ford Blue on my dads junkstang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast