Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which LS To Use

Registered Member

Member #:4482

Which LS To Use

Hi, I am in the begining stages on doing a 57 Chevy Pickup with 58/9 fleetside bed and C4 suspension front and rear. I am going to go with a LS engine and was wondering what is a good reasonably priced engine/trans combo? I was intially looking at the L77 6.0/6l80E but think the LQ4 6.0/4L80E might be a more reasonably priced combo. I like the later LQ4's because no AFM and they have DBW. This will be a Driver that I will Show also. This truck has a 94 LT1/4l60E in it now not running. I bought this as a partially started project that I will be doing a body off restomod. Just looking for opinons on engine combos. Thank You Steve

Registered Member

Member #:4336
    LS3 can be purchased here in NC and Va. 2010 20,000 miles for about 5200. get one out of a straight drive that way you don't have to deal with VVT also I went with a 4L80 trans in mine 55 car but is a 525 hp unit. Don't no how much more room you have in a truck but it is a monster trans and requires a LARGE tunnel in my 55. You should be ok in a stock application with a 4L70 trans.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    An LQ4 will be cheaper simply because it's from an older model year. LQ9 and L92 among others are candidates too, as well as LS2 and LS3. Keep an open mind on all those as you look at used engines.

Registered Member

Thanks for the opinions guys. I am a long way from this part of the project but if something comes along I want to know what I am getting. I like the truck engines because the intake seems taller and this is a big engine comartment. Being the first truck I have ever done ( I have done a 1/2 dozen body off's on 67-73 Oldmobile 442 cars) I am learning a lot first then will start on this. There seems to be a lot of LS engine/trans for sale all the time and want to get a engine trans from the same car/truck. Thanks Steve

Registered Member

Hi, Been looking at a lot of LS engine tranny combos and pricing verys somewhat. I am trying to find a LQ4/4L80E combo. I have noticed that the ones fron the southern state seem to look a lot cleaner that anything in my area plus 2WD trannys are more plentiful. The normal mileage on these are well over a 100k. I have heard thes engines go 200k easy. Looks like I will be into around 4K for a running engine trans and all the harrnesses,ecu,gas pedal etc. I would like to get one soon just to fit it before finishing all the floor work. The tunnel has already been modified and have a easy 3 inchs of space around the 4L60E that was in there when I got it. Opinions greatly appreciated. Steve

Registered Member

Just a update on my engine choice. I ended up getting a complete turn key 6.0 LQ4 and 4L80E trans from just chevy trucks in Maine. They take a 6.0 put a set of rebuilt 5.3 heads on it for more compression and there VCM cam,cam bearings,lifters,chains,oil pump and check the bottom end. They dyno the engine and provided a dyno sheet. here is the link to engine on there dyno. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4m-ljgT-co . It's kind of a weird dyno set up but seems to work for them. the engine made 400 h.p and they say there is 15% hp los through there wheel set up so they say it should be around 470 hp at the crank with plenty of torque and plenty down low. They also supply a completely rebuilt with all updates 4L80E trans, wire harness, gas pedal, computer programmed with my rear end,tire size and options A/C and cruise. Steve

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I would stay away from those that drop cylinders.

Member #:530
    That's gonna be a nice setup! You better figure out how to get some weight into the back of that truck with all that torque. Otherwise, you'll go thru tires and learn to drive sideways.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

If you are looking at the dyno run at the end whee it stutters it was on the rev limiter. They set it at 6500rpm. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I would stay away from those that drop cylinders.

Registered Member

I recieved the engine and transmission today. Everything was wrapped in plastic and secured good to the pallets. They marked all the wires on the harness and was complete with all accessories. I am very pleased with the whole experience start to finish.

WagonCrazy.. I hear ya on the light rear. This is the first truck I have built and may have over did it on the power but I should be all right. Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast