Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Granddad's 57 Chevy

Registered Member

Member #:4238

Granddad's 57 Chevy

Hi everyone.

Was looking through some of the family photo albums and saw a couple pictures of my grandfather's 57 Chevy. I've heard about this car all while growing up and have seen these pictures in the past, but this time a couple things jumped out at me and I'd like to see if you guys can explain them.

First off, it was a two door sedan in Sierra Gold and Adobe Beige. Too bad the pictures were black and white. No clue what the interior was but the tops of the back seat were light.

It was indeed a Bel Air, but the chrome on the tops of the fins were the short kind that only went a few inches forward. It also had full hubcabs that looked nothing like Bel Air hubcaps. They actually looked like Plymouth hubcaps(like on Christine) but I have no idea why they would be. Granddad bought the car new.

That's about all I can say. The pictures were taken of people, and the car just happened to be there, so nothing about the car was focused on. The lesser trim on a Bel Air does puzzle me. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.
    Mike
    1957 Bel Air

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    pics would help. maybe wasn't a Bel Air.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    that`s right. that short stainless on the fins.

Member #:3454
    Pictures would answer most of the questions. There were no such thing as Bel Air wheel covers. Granted most (maybe all) had full wheel covers. The 57 Plymouth wheel covers were very popular. They were smooth and pointed in the middle. There were knockoffs sold by companies like J.C. Whitney. The short chrome on the top of the tail fins was only on 210's and 150's. The Bel Air was longer and went almost to the rear window. Now I am going out on a limb here and say that Sierra Gold & Adobe Beige was not available on a 210. I think I saw that on some literature but am not certain. I don't ever remember seeing a 210 with that color combo. Experts here will either confirm and correct me on that one.
    Glenn Hargrove

USAF (66-70) Viet Nam Vet

Registered Member

The pictures I saw were of course snapshots in an album, so nothing to download. When I'm back there in a couple weeks I'll look again and take a picture of the pictures with my phone and try to post them here.

One picture shows the back end and very clearly it says Bel Air in the sweepspear. That's what makes this so puzzling. I believe if it were a 210 it would say Chevrolet. Also, I never heard the names Sierra Gold or Adobe Beige mentioned, but always the copper colored 57 Chevy. Don't think Chevy ever had "copper."

Ah, I thought this would be an easy one...

Thanks guys for weighing in.
    Mike
    1957 Bel Air

Registered Member

Member #:571
    It could have been a 210 that had the Bel Air aluminum inserts added on the rear quarters. I do believe Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige was available on a 210.

I found an original 57 brochure online and Sierra Gold & Adobe Beige was not available on 210 4-door and 2-door sedans except the Del Ray. It was also available on 210 station wagons.
    Glenn Hargrove

Mike:

I should have caught you user name on here. I just read you post on classic old dot com. If the car was a Bel Air it would have a gold grill, gold trim on the hood and trunk and the louvers on the front fenders would be gold. Of course you probably have a black and white photo. With the short chrome on top of the fins I am going to guess it is a 210 Del Ray which was available in Sierra Gold & Adobe Beige and probably the dealer added the Bel Air side trim because your grandfather wanted it. A lot of that stuff happened back in the day.
    Glenn Hargrove

Registered Member

Ah Glenn of course. I knew I should have recognized the car in your picture. I got to thinking there are some eagle-eyed people that could probably pick out things in my pictures that I would never see. I'm going back to my Mom's next weekend and I'll get pictures of the pictures and post them up.

I worked at a Chevy dealer in the 80s and even at that late date they would still mix and match things, do special orders, odd color combinations, etc. if the customer wanted it. I bet that doesn't happen too much these days.
    Mike
    1957 Bel Air

Good hearing from you Mike. I keep up with you on the Good Morning thread I just don't post on it anymore. The 57 posted on my avatar is the one I have had over 60 years that I am finally going to start on this year. At 74 I am probably nuts to start on it but I have to get it done and at least drive it for a few years before I give it to my son. Look forward to seeing the pictures.
    Glenn Hargrove