Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vin Number

Registered Member

Member #:610

Vin Number

So I came across a 56 Nomad posted in Craigslist & also on ebay that has the vin of a 210. I brought this up with the seller and the seller claimed the Nomad came from Missouri and now has the car's CA title is in his name w/the provided vin VB56S102080. I hesitated on getting the Nomad and wanted to get some insight from any of you if you are aware of a plant that made Nomads with 210 vin numbers. I am leary of purchasing the 56 Nomad and then finding out there is another vin stamped into the frame (when changing the floorpans). To my knowledge, if I find another vin on the Nomad and report the issue, I believe they might arrest me for buying stolen property. Again, any insight is appreciated.

The ebay listing ended the other day. Here is the Craigslist post:

https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/d/...179492299.html

Member #:3217
    They wouldn't arrest you, unless you actually had something to do with the theft, or KNEW it was stolen, BUT they would/could take the car away from you (and you get NOTHING in return).. so you lost your money and investment at that point.

If you want a Nomad, find a REAL ONE. that one doesn't have a VIN on it (not for a Nomad), so someone has removed the Nomad/BelAir VIN plate and installed one from a 210... NO SUCH THING as a 210 Nomad! ... and it doesn't matter one whit where it came from..

RUN from that one.. don't even slow down!

Registered Member

Thanks BamaNomad! Something of a coincidence, but I just realized there is another Nomad (1957) w/ 210 vin that has been posted on ebay by a dealer! It is all done and really nice, but, I know the vin is wrong and I can't proceed having the thought in the back of my mind that the car may have been stolen.

When I was looking for a '56 Nomad in 2014, I came across one also that had a 210 VIN plate on it - I alerted the owner/advertiser (actually I think it was an agent at that time), but didn't follow it up to see if they corrected it. The one you've come across may be the same car??? I don't recall details of the car I saw...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    When I was looking for a '56 Nomad in 2014, I came across one also that had a 210 VIN plate on it - I alerted the owner/advertiser (actually I think it was an agent at that time), but didn't follow it up to see if they corrected it. The one you've come across may be the same car??? I don't recall details of the car I saw...
    I emailed the CA DMV regarding the 1956 Nomad titled with the 1956 Chevrolet 210 Vin that is currently posted for sale and let them know I was interested in buying the car until I identified the obvious invalid 1956 Chevrolet 210 vin number.

Very good Michaelmotorcycle, although with my impression of the state of Calif, they probably won't do anything unless they think they can collect citizens $$$ from it....?

Registered Member

Member #:4554
    Hello,
    Might I ask what is a Vin with a 210?? What does the 210 mean?? I have a 56 Nomad, that I am struggling to find the VIN number for. I bought the car over 20 years ago, and just now started to work on it, but cant locate the VIN number. I checked the driver side door frame, I cut a couple pieces in the floor near the frame in hopes of finding it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The VIN number will be on a stainless steel plate on the driver side front door jamb.

It will have a sequence like VC56xnnnnnnn. The V is a designation for a V8 engine, if it was a 6 that place in the sequence would be missing. C is for a Bel Air, and all Nomads are Bel Airs. If it had a B there, that would be for a 210 model, and if it had A, that would be for a 150 model. Since there were no 210 Nomads, that's a red flag, as the VIN wouldn't be for that Nomad, but for a 210. 56 is for the model year.

The x is a letter designating where the car was made, and nnnnnn is a unique sequence for that assembly plant for that year model. The VIN stamped on the frame under the driver seat is a partial number - it begins with the assembly plant letter.

Registered Member

Member #:4554
    Thank you for the clarification. I have looked from the engine as far back as I could on the frame. Front, top, bottom, and sides. There is no plate in the door jamb. I cant find the VIN number.

Did you get a bill of sale when you purchased the car? To uniquely identify the vehicle you purchased, the BOS should have a VIN identified on it, and that same number should be on the car's VIN (or serial plate)..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast