Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 1957 Chevrolet ; 4 barrel for automatic = Rochester, or Carter

Registered Member

Member #:3799

1957 Chevrolet ; 4 barrel for automatic = Rochester, or Carter

On the 1957 Chevrolet's, which 4 barrel carburetor is the factory correct choice, with the 2 speed power glide automatic transmission, is it the Rochester, or the Carter? And where is the best place to get a restored one ?

Member #:3217
    Most people prefer the Carter WCFB. If you want to BUY one ready to go (restored), I'd suggest you call Bob Kunz. He's in St Louis. phone: 314-846-2566, or 314-843-7545. With his carbs, generally you can bolt them on, start the engine and GO... no screwing around with them...

PS. If you want to restore/rebuild your own let me know as I have a Rochester, and a couple of '57 WCFBs that I've had since the late 70's/80's stored in my garage.

Registered Member

Bama, I was told that if your 57 Chevrolet was an automatic, it used one of the two brands, and if your car was the standard with three on the tree, it used the other 4 barrel brand . First I have to figure out if this was true?

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    The Carter WCFB was used on both. The auto used the AB433S choke, and the standard used AD433S choke. The numbers are on the black plastic housing. I also have a PG car with a Rochester, and a PG car with a Carter. I don't have any info about the Rochester on a standard car.
    100_1934.jpg

Registered Member

Bama, thanks again for the info. I am looking for a 4 barrel intake manifold, with a date close to H-3-7, or August 3rd 1957. I got some info that the front engine stamp number is when they ran the engine for the first time with no carb , or dist. for 30 sec. if all went well they called it good. all mechanical pieces should be about ten days prior to this front engine stamp.

Member #:3217
    The engine pad stamping was done when the engine was assembled... Most of the parts cast there in the foundry with the block will have cast dates fairly close. Assembly could be one day or 10 days later...

I have 3 or 4 157 4-bbl intakes (cast number ending in 398)... but can't recall the dates. When we were doing 'detailed' judging in the NNC and CCCI, date codes generally weren't checked as our rules required that if you checked *anything* on one car, you had to check it on all of them in the class... and THAT was a lot of hot work!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-12-2020 at 07:31 PM.