Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AXLE LENGTH

Member #:3217
    Mike: How about trying an image which you have successfully posted here previously (as a test)? What is the file size and format type of the images you've attempted unsuccessfully to post?

Member #:4411
    No bigger then any of the other photos I have posted here, including the earlier photos in this thread. The one odd thing is that in the manage photos area I have 25 icons I cant seem to get rid of. Maybe that is preventing the addition of new photos.

Mike, email me the image you could not post. My email is: gdwylie@knology.net

I will attempt posting it and/or determine why it won't post.

Gary

Email sent. I appreciate whatever you can do.

I'm going to display here the two images that Mike has had problems getting to display...
    IMG_0467 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0468 (Copy).jpg

Mike sent me these two files which were 4032 x 3024 pixels h/v, and over 4 MBytes and 3Mbytes in size. The image sizes are much too large for anyone's computer screen! and the file sizes are much larger than most websites are going to take.

I used "Light Image Resizer" (available for free download via the web) to reduce the images to 2000 x 1000 roughly (still large but I wanted to demonstrate that). The resulting file sizes are ~ 500 Kbytes each. The image files that I typically download to a website are generally 1000x750 pixels and generally LESS than 500 kbytes (even 75-100 Kbytes jpeg file display very nicely).

If Mike (Dragsix) attempts to post the resized photos I sent him back, I believe he will be successful.
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-23-2020 at 07:35 PM.

I will give it a try. The strange thing is these are the same size photos that I have been posting here in the past and they posted just fine. Then all of the sudden, could not post. I will give it a try tonight.

In the mean time, for anyone interested in the axle issues with a posi, the side gear set on the left in each photo is a stock set. Two piece, both pieces splined. So in order to get enough axle splines to the gear itself, the axle has to be long enough but not so long as to bump the cross shafts. So that is the reason for being precise with how much you cut off the 55-57 axle ends. Too much of a cut and you leave an insufficient length of splines to engage the gear which leads to the splines twisting and the axles breaking. Also, this two piece design requires a special tool or a pair of cut off axles splines to align the splines as you are tightening the case halves together. Failure to get the splines aligned will prevent the axles from installing.

The set that is to the right in each photo is an aftermarket Yukon Gear set and is designed and machined a little differently then the stock set. The cup part is now splined directly to the gear and the gear is now designed to accept the full length of the splines instead of just a partial amount. Its a much stronger and improved design. Also, because the aftermarket deign is a one piece design with respect to the axles splines so to speak, you do not need any special tools or cut off axles because there is nothing to align.
    Last edited by Dragsix; 09-24-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Different photo, looks like it might post.

if you look carefully, you will see this is a set of original side gears and a slight mismatch of the splines When my son put it together. He did not have the axle stub far enough to engage and align both sets of splines. If we had actually installed this, we would not have been able to get the axle in a spud would have had to tear it out and redo the entire affair. You can also see how cutting too much of the axle end off might leave the actual drive part of the posi Side gear lacking in spline engagement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    thank you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123