Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AXLE LENGTH

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:4421

AXLE LENGTH

have factory rear in my `57, with a posi. are the axle lengths the same for a non-posi rear? going on a long trip, would like to change center sections for the trip. thanx!

Member #:3217
    From what I've read, that depends on factors you haven't provided in your post. Depends upon whether your rear end/differential was updated from a non-posi to a posi in the past. When doing that, it is generally required to cut ~ 1/4" off the ends of the axles, so... Are axles in your rear shortened for that or not? Is your differential an original posi from Chevrolet? or not?

Registered Member

factory posi. are they cut? if you need to have them cut for a posi, then i guess they were. do non-psi axles fit in a posi? if not, i guess they were cut. one is shorter than the other.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    If your car came with a posi, the axles are 1/8" shorter than with an open differential. The driver side axle is shorter than the passenger side.

With axles correct for a posi, you can put either a posi or non-posi center section in the car and use the same axles.

Registered Member

thanx, that`s what i wanted to know.,,,,,,ok,, rick L. from the other forum?

How are you trying to insert photos, Mike? Are you getting some kind of error message? or ?? There are a couple of ways to load images here... while not as easy as the other site now, we still have options here to do it.

Member #:4411
    Dave, if the rear is an original 57 posi assembly, and by that I mean that particular differential housing, center section and axles, are original posi pieces, then the axles that were installed at the factory were shortened a bit (1/16-1/8) so that the ends of the axles would not bump the posi cross shafts in the dana 44 posi and break them. Open rear 57s got the slightly longer standard axles. This difference ended for the 58 model year and so for 58 and up all of the axles are the same length and can be used in either open or posi rears.

Now, to install a Dana 44 style posi in a rear assembly that originally was an open rear, you need to shorten the axles. One way to tell, there is a raised area on the end of the standard open axles where the splines end. If that bump is present, you have unmodified axles and will need to grind that down. Posi axles for 57s are pretty rare as the posi option was not offered until a bit later in the production,maybe like December 56, so three months into 11 month production. I just did that very thing this past weekend when we installed my son's posi into his 57 rear.

Registered Member

hey there, Drag 6, thanx for the info, it`s me, "HDDUDE", upthe road from you.

IMG_1458.JPGIn addition to the 'paper clip' icon, you can also use the 'insert image' option, and choose the image from your computer or from a URL.

You don't have to 'go advanced' to use this one... The icon is between the 'unlink' and the 'insert video' icons.
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-19-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Registered Member

how `bout those side gears?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast