Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REAR AXLE BEARING RETAINING RING

Registered Member

Member #:4421

REAR AXLE BEARING RETAINING RING

when replacing rear axle bearings, does that "ring" get broken, can it be reused? i just had a set of axle bearings pressed on new "moser" axles, and they have them on backwards. hopefully you can buy them seperate ?,,,,,,,the bearing doesn`t get ruined does it?

Member #:3217
    Isn't the shop that did the work responsible for their error?

Registered Member

you`re right bama! but they keep telling me, getting heated, that they are correct. these are `55`s. the bearing has one side sealed. the other, like indented seal with a spring in a circle, keeps it tight on the axle. the "O" ring goes in a little farther on the bearing, they say the O ring always goes closest to the wheel, not with 55 and 56, as you well know, i`m sure. the `57`s stand alone. anyway, it`s MOSER axles, called moser, they can send me 2. BTW, it`s me, HDDUDE, from over there! thanx!

Registered Member

and, the bearing does`nt get ruined, does it?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Sometimes the lock ring gets chiseled off. Sometimes the bearing is damaged pressing it off. But if it's on backwards, you don't have much choice but to try fix it and save it.

Registered Member

yea, i know, thanx

Registered Member

man, i hope those bearings get saved!

Member #:4411
    Moser did the same thing to my 57 axles. Installed NOS GM bearings on backwards. I bit the bullet and obtained another set of NOS bearings but this time I sent explicit instructions and photos so they would get it right the second time. For you, to remove the bearings, you have to split the ring (see the shop manual) and remove the ring separately if you want any chance at getting the bearings off in tact. If you press the bearing off with the ring, the bearing should not be re used. Now the bigger issue, you cant buy just replacement rings. They have been unavailable for quite a few years. One alternative, press off the bearings and rings from the original axles without messing with the rings. Once you have the old rings, you cant use them as is but you can install them with a press to get them tight against the bearing, then put a couple of small tack welds ring to axle.

Registered Member

bingo, the new collars arrived, and they are the correct size, 1.377 i.d. now as long as they can remove the bearing without ruining it! look out come monday!

Member #:4411
    Dave, where it the world did you find replacement rings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast