Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 454 in a 55 nomad

Registered Member

Member #:4512

454 in a 55 nomad

Greetings
    I just signed up today because I'm starting a project and might need a little advice from the experts.
    I have a 55 Nomad that I'm making a mild street rod out of it.
    My first question is , can a 454 with a long water pump fit? I'm not running a fan on the engine. Using electric ones instead on an after market radiator.
    Thanks

Registered Member

Member #:625
    A LWP is a bad plan SWP is much better.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The answer to this question depends mainly on how far forward you mounted the engine relative to the stock small block. Typical setups are 0, 3/4" forward, and up to 2+" forward. Obviously that makes a big difference with respect to short vs. long pump and what those will clear. Fan and radiator setups vary also.

Registered Member

Member #:4512
    Thanks for the replies. The engine will sit close to stock location. I'm running a magneto which has a smaller diameter than a HEI. The main reason I asked is because when I was building the engine , the parts supplier sent me a long pump. Probably just easier to change it out since I haven't ordered any of the pulleys yet. The only thing that might foul are the valve covers. I have to run the tall type due to the roller rockers .
    Thanks again

Registered Member

Member #:625
    A member on here has a thread on his BBC install and he did a firewall pocket, I did 225 forward with a notched Moroso pan .

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    In stock position (bell housing flange in same location) and short water pump with radiator in 6 cylinder position the pin in the water pump nose clears the electric fan by about 3/8”. I was fine with this in my 57 Nomad. The screws holding the W/P pulley to the flange are fine thread 5/16” button heads.

Yes there are firewall modifications required. Even more for roller lifters w/ tall valve covers.