Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: PULLEY ALIGNMENT

Registered Member

Member #:4421

PULLEY ALIGNMENT

first of all, was`nt sure which section this would be in, since it`s not stock, here we go. `typical 350 small block, no 400 stuff. i tighten the balancer down, and it did`nt bottom out yet, and the pulley is in to far, compared to the "short" pump pulley. can i just shim the crank pulley out? what the hell am i missing? ok, and does the balancer need to bottom out? thanx in advance. ,,,,,,,,,,,i was just thinking to get those "thick" washers to shim it out. HOWEVER, the balancer bolt is only in like a half inch with the spacers on the pulley bolts.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Without a picture, or more info, your on your own. NO SHIM!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have never known there to be any difference between a 350 or 400 SBC as far as pulleys go. You need to have either all LWP or all SWP stuff.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Balancer should always bottom out. If the crank pulley doesn't line up with everything else, it's the wrong crank pulley. Probably a mixup between SWP and LWP parts, as said.

Member #:3217
    There's another situation wtih first generation Corvettes. Because of the engine mount which goes between the block and the water pump, before installing the balancer/pulley there is a 1/4" thick *spacer* that must be installed to ensure that the pulley align. I found that one out a few years ago when I was building a 283 for my '60 Corvette and a friend with 1st gen experienced asked me if I'd installed the spacer! My first response was 'What spacer'... but after thinking about it, I understood and ordered one!

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    ok, ordered/received my crank pulley spacers, crank pulley, water pump pulley, alt. pulley. going to replace it all. alt. pulley on. pump pulley on. now, ok, here we go. put the impact on the balancer, here it is already bottomed out. now, with the crank pulley on the bench, next to the new one, it`s bent,,,pretty bad if i may add. so, all this time i`m using a straight edge to line up these pulleys, the crank pulley is bent, not giving me a correct "straight" alignment. ta-dah! a little blue on the balancer bolt. ok you guys have a good day. thanx.