Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 605 Box to CPP 500

Registered Member fiftysix chevy's Avatar

Member #:1497

605 Box to CPP 500

After twelve years of using a 605 steering box, I plan on switching to a CPP 500 box, I have two questions.

Are the hose ends the same at the box between these two boxes? I understand that the 500 uses inverted flare fittings, but I don't remember what the 605 has.

From a labor standpoint and since I'm sitting on my couch thinking through this, can the boxes be removed / installed from underneath the car?

Thanks,
    Jim

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I used 67 Camaro PS hoses from NAPA on my 56 with a 500 box. As far as hoses on the 605 they are bisexual, they go both ways, inverted flair or Metric O ring.
    Last edited by markm; 10-16-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks Markm!
    Are we allowed to say things like that here?

Registered Member

We don't have to contend with Otis and his crew here.

That's right, good point!

Well, finally got off the couch and swapped out the 605 with the 500. It was one of the most horrible jobs I've ever done. None of the issues were because of the CPP 500 box, it was just a tough upgrade. Had to work the header and the old box out together. Working the new 500 in with the header was tons of fun (by myself on my back). The angle of the mounted steering box would not align with the steering shaft (up and down angle). I had to elongate the three mounting holes in the frame to get that angle correct. The side to side alignment was easy with a couple of washers between the frame and the box. There was still a ton of other issues I had to deal with, but after all the crap, I got to drive it one whole mile and l'm very happy with the feel. Not sloppy at all, a little harder to turn the steering wheel, but I always thought it was a litte too easy with the 605. Bottom line, if you need to upgrade, do so. Just make sure you have a lift in your garage, a strong friend and a couple bottles of tequila and two hookers to assist you.
    Last edited by fiftysix chevy; 03-28-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Member #:3217
    I suppose those of us who don't yet have a 500 steering box, could begin by working on acquiring the items on the bottom of your list!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I suppose those of us who don't yet have a 500 steering box, could begin by working on acquiring the items on the bottom of your list!
    Yep, by far that would be the easiest part. To update my post on how hard the upgrade was, I am not saying anyone should not do the upgrade, it will be worth it. It was a lot lot work, but in the end well worth it.

Registered Member

I built my 55 with one, but converted my done 56 and anothers guys 57 and did not find it that bad of job. Did you have shims between oem box and frame, I did on 56 and 57. I think your issues were the headeraches.

Member #:3217
    Details on necessary mods in doing this update would be good for those of us who might consider the mod?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast