Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacement stock style axles

Member #:1694
    I did find the ring, it was at middle part. But i'm reluctant to reuse the axels.
    I've sent an Email to Moser with the measurements i could take.
    DoctorDiff also has a complete set available.
    Also Dutchman has a pair available.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 567chevys View Post
    Tom Died

Here is it

Charles “Tom” Watt

October 5, 1950 – January 24, 2018

Tom was born on October 5, 1950 in Long Beach, California. Tom had a wonderful life growing up in California in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s. Forty-three years ago he started Tom’s Differentials in Paramount, California. Tom worked long days in order to build a successful business. He learned through hard work and paying attention. He eventually moved Tom’s Differentials to Ponderay, Idaho, which is where he considered home. He left behind his wife Jo Anne, many loving family members and friends. He will be greatly missed by all. What the world has lost heaven has gained.

But I email the company & this is what they email me so it looks like they are still open

Yes, we are! We are open Monday-Friday from 9AM-3PM.

Thank you,
    Lesli
    Shipping/Warehouse Manager @ Tom's Differentials

Good to know Sid thanks, I would give them a call.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What's a KA axle?

Registered Member

Toms own brand, made in USA very high quality, make my hozer Moser look like crap. I have both in Camaro drag cars. 35 spline Dana 60. plus 35 spline KA Dana in 55. The splines are cut more precision cut on the KA. I believe theyare listed on the website. My buddy runs them in his 9 inch. Here is the best part very affordable.
    Last edited by markm; 10-19-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    wow!

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    if you need to find new collars, just collars, let us know where to locate! THANX!!!

Registered Member

Tom shows several choices for 8.2 axles on site.

Why K.A. Axles?
    Because we got sick and tired of buying axles that were too loose of a fit on the side gears or
    wouldn't fit at all, excessive end play, .005 - .008 is desired, compromising of heat-treating so
    axles could be cut and splined after manufacturing. Cost! Etc.
    We decided there had to be someone who could make axles in United States of America, at an
    affordable price that would work like their supposed to! K.A. of course.
    K.A.'s are manufactured of 1541 material with rolled splines "to insure the correct fit" C.N.C.
    machined and then induction heat-treated to our demanding spec's. We then 100% inspect for
    spline fit, correct lengths, end play ect., to assure you the highest quality axle with
    consistency that you can count on. No Hassles, No ifs ands or butts!
    Advantages!
    You have an axle that has been correctly heat-treated, fits like you need it to, is super
    tough, doesn't kill your budget and normally ships the same day it's ordered.
    Disadvantages
    We don't make individual custom pairs, As all axles are done in production runs.
    Thanks for listening, thanks for your support and remember Buy American!
    L

Member #:4411
    Nick the axle is fine. The rings get loose for a couple of reasons. One, it was reused during a prior bearing install. You cant really re use them without tack welding the rings to the axle. Second, the axle has had a number of bearing replacements and the axle bearing race on the axle is on the loose side of the required interference fit tolerance. Another reason, you put so much side load on the rear axles, like coming off an interstate exit at high speed, that the bearing presses it self off (more common then you think and yes, I did it once, and my best friend did it twice with his 57 which is when we had a old school racer tell us what to do to solve the issue, yep, tack weld the rings, lol.) So to get you by for the time being, repress the bearing and ring and tack weld the ring until you get your new axles.).

Registered Member

Dragsix, An old racer/ machinist/welder who knew more about building driveshafts and narrowing rear ends than anyone I have ever knew told me the same thing.

Member #:1694
    Dragsix,
    These axles were bought used and the previous owner upgraded to a ford 9 inch. I've already removed the bearing and found rust, that could indicate the press fit wasn't enough anymore. The high speed cornering might be true, i like to take corners fast So the new ones have to be welded.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast