Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacement stock style axles

Member #:4411
    If you are getting new Moser axles, I don't think you will need to tack the retaining rings in place. In fact, I myself would not. Mine rings are not and I am pretty hard on my axles. I would only do it on old original GM axles.

Markm, I was lucky. I grew up in an area where the local speed shop and machine shop was somewhat nationally known and sponsored all manner of east coast and west coast racers (Frantic ford, Jim Lieberman). One of the men involved with the Frantic ford was Jim Fox and he was a machinist at the machine shop. He was a very quiet man but if he took the time to tell you something, you were wise beyond your years to listen and follow his advice. Those guys had dozens of work arounds for all kinds of issues. One time, when I was breaking my axles at the drag strip, they walked me through swaping in Chrysler 8.75 side and spider gears into a Chevy rear, and the two Mopar axles you needed to get at the junk yard to use for better axles. I was young and those guys were headed for retirement. So I was lucky enough to be the beneficiary of some of what they knew. So many of them are gone now and to some extent, a great deal of what they knew went with them.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Kampy - Copy (2).jpg

This is my old buddy's car that is Hilborn injection for a big block Mopar grafted to an Offy 2x4 intake, Car originally had an Olds rear swapped to a Dana 60. He also owned and operated his own dragstrip in addition to his successful welding and machine shop. He is also the one who got me hooked on running Dana 60s, having built my first one with 8 3/4 Mopar axle ends and brakes. Early Olds ends were his first choice, but I had none at time. He preferred to heat wheel bearing retaining rings to install them. This car still exist as shown in picture, that used to be a 62 409 with 2x4. When I started racing in the 70s it had a Q-jet. When I first remember this car it had a clutch-turbo 400 in the 70s and 80s. I ran one of the old 3500 pound roller assisted Borg & Beck clutches from this car in my Camaro back then.
    Last edited by markm; 10-23-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    this looks like an injected 409. how kool!

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Dave I thought the seem thing.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Wave View Post
    this looks like an injected 409. how kool!
    I was born a 62 409 with 2x4s but it now has a 427 crank around 472 cubes.

Member #:1694
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragsix View Post
    If you are getting new Moser axles, I don't think you will need to tack the retaining rings in place. In fact, I myself would not. Mine rings are not and I am pretty hard on my axles. I would only do it on old original GM axles.
    I'll pass on Moser. They offered axles with the wrong bearing even though I specified RW307R bearings.
    I did find a local company that could metal spray the axle to build up the bearing surface.
    They only want my to specify the correct dimension with tolerances. The bearing is 1.378 inch (=35.0012mm) id.
    What would be a good axle size?

thanks,

Nick

Registered Member

Moser is not the only game in town, did you call Toms, I did this week shopping for 12 bolt spiders and side gears for a 4 series Posi. There are others besides them too.

Member #:1694
    Yes, I have contacted Tom's and Dutchman. Tom's isn't good for international shipping, shipping alone costs more than the axle pair. Dutchman doesn't give me a quotation.
    I did find doctor diff on ebay his shipping rates are pretty good.
    so far the Mopar guys seem to like his axles.

Member #:4411
    Try south east chevy. https://www.southeastchevyparts.com/...ine_p_175.html I know he ships over seas, I am pretty sure he told me one time he ships individual parts, a container of parts over seas, multiple buyers get together or something like that. check with him. That is where I purchased my axles.

Registered Member

I missed the international part, I am sure that make this more difficult.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast