Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My 55 Bare Bonz just GO-STOP-TURN Build

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I get to try and put the lower trim on, but trim hates me.
    Of course first thing this morning trying to put the lower windshield trim on I set one of the trim clips over the hole, turned around to grab a screw and as could be expected, it slipped off, and it disappeared into the cowl opening. Been trying to find it for a hour now.

Member #:3217
    Uhoh... do you have a long extendible magnetic tool?? That's the only thing I can think of but I've never had to do that inside a '55-56 cowl. Maybe someone with experience on that can help you...

Banned

I found out you do not want anything falling down in your cowl vent. Turns out there is a narrow hidden vertical drain channel tucked into the corner of the plenum behind the vent door. It's narrow at the bottom, and wide at the top connected to a horizontal channel at the top below the cowl where it wraps around the corner. Dropped a penny size washer in the cowl to try and figure out what happened to the clip, and it vanished too. Made several attempts to work a wire into the channel and I actually hooked it once only to figure out it is wedged in the forever now. I can use one of my old clips, but not until I tape off the whole grill area. I wish there was a good way to screen off the cowl vent. That drain channel could easily be completely clogged and you would never know it. In the picture, the green wire is the bottom of the channel. At the top you can barely get a finger near it. The picture is upside down btw. I never would have known that channel was even there, or looked if this hadn't happened. It's spot welded to the backside of the firewall inside plenum.
    IMG_8965.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 11-17-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    RD can you open up the bottom of the channel a little and see if your piece will come out ? Without damage to the firewall. Just a thought.

[QUOTE=55 Rescue Dog;58221]Getting the windshield installed just 30 minutes ago was a fun project to get finished. Went with the green EZ-eye glass that Bama had suggested.
    I really think it's the perfect tint for a tri-five. It came to my glass guy on Friday, and they came over this morning, and installed it in just over an hour. No way would I even attempt to install a windshield by myself. He has installed many old car windshields, and makes it look easy, but for the $484 it cost me for the glass, seal, and installation it was a bargain. [QUOTE]

I've installed several in the mostly distant past, but a couple in the last few years, but I'm having a difficult time with the one for my current '57 Nomad, and looking for 'more' good tips on the do's and don't's.. RD: Did you watch their process and learn anything?
    Q. Did they use any sort of sealer on either the body or the seal where it envelops the pinchweld? OR anything in the seal where it engages the glass or the trim?

Did you learn any tips/tricks that you could pass along? The next time I try my install, it's either going IN, or it's going to be in pieces!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 11-19-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Banned

[QUOTE=BamaNomad;58270][QUOTE=55 Rescue Dog;58221]Getting the windshield installed just 30 minutes ago was a fun project to get finished. Went with the green EZ-eye glass that Bama had suggested.
    I really think it's the perfect tint for a tri-five. It came to my glass guy on Friday, and they came over this morning, and installed it in just over an hour. No way would I even attempt to install a windshield by myself. He has installed many old car windshields, and makes it look easy, but for the $484 it cost me for the glass, seal, and installation it was a bargain.

I've installed several in the mostly distant past, but a couple in the last few years, but I'm having a difficult time with the one for my current '57 Nomad, and looking for 'more' good tips on the do's and don't's.. RD: Did you watch their process and learn anything?
    Q. Did they use any sort of sealer on either the body or the seal where it envelops the pinchweld? OR anything in the seal where it engages the glass or the trim?

Did you learn any tips/tricks that you could pass along? The next time I try my install, it's either going IN, or it's going to be in pieces!
    I did watch them work on it, and tried to respect their trade by not seeking too much info. But after watching the process of them getting the orientation of the seal correct, and installing the upper trim I decided it wasn't something I ever wanted to know how to do. Installation was much cheaper than the glass, plus it was super easy to just watch them do it. Didn't want to watch when they get to the point of banging it into place, so I went outside for 10 minutes, and when the beating was done I came back in and it was finished. They did use sealer just between the seal, and the glass on the outside only.

Banned

Received my Ron Francis wiring harness kit the other day, which will make for a long winter project. Got the panel mounted in the glove box with the PCM bolted to the backside of the aluminum plate I made. Trying to keep things easy to work on, but it keeps getting harder with the more stuff that keeps adding on. I don't even have AC, heat, radio, wipers or anything else in the way, and it's still going to be a pain. I like the terminal strip design of the RF fuse panels I can run just the wires I need with plenty of spare circuits, plus easy to test, and troubleshoot. I've been looking at it for 3 day trying to figure out which wire to even start with.
    IMG_8993.JPG
    IMG_8971.jpgIMG_8972.jpgIMG_8915.JPGIMG_8995.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 11-26-2020 at 08:26 AM.

I've been wondering if it would be helpful during the wiring process to hook up a small battery (maybe a 9V battery?) which would enable checking the 'hot leads' and the Grounds/returns to make sure there were no shorts or missed wiring connections as we make the individual circuits??

Would this be helpful in finding wiring issues ? If you had an issue, the 9V battery wouldn't put out enough power to cause any damage...?

Banned

The 9 volt battery can't put out enough power to turn anything on. I am going to test each circuit as I wire it up using a cheap 12 volt, 5 amp power supply I use to power up the tail lights on the bumper I have hanging on the wall. I can power up most of the circuits using that, and if that isn't enough I will use my motorcycle battery with the appropriate size fuse inline. That way I will know everything will probably work when I go to power up the whole car using a big battery.
    IMG_8999.JPGIMG_8998.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 11-26-2020 at 12:21 PM.

I wasn't suggesting POWERING anything, just proposed the 9V battery as a means to TEST that the wires that were supposed to be HOT were hot, and the ones that were supposed to be GROUND were grounded... ie no shorts, no opens in the WIRES...

ie. BEFORE installing any Loads...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast