X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dualfours
    Registered Member
    • Jul 2020

Metal Glove Box Insert?

I tried a search with no results so have the question: Has anyone here fabricated a metal replacement for the cardboard insert of the glove box? Am thinking I want to install a aftermarket AM/FM/CD in the glove box of my '57 two door sedan. Would rather have a metal insert for strength and rigidity to bear the weight of such. Any pics of such or tips trying to fab a replacement would be appreciated.
  • MP&C
    Registered Member
    • Dec 2013

Have not done one yet, but it's on the list. Should be getting to that in a couple months.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Comment

• Dualfours
      Registered Member
      • Jul 2020

Thanks for the reply. When you get to the point of making your metal glove box insert would really like to see the finished product and a brief description of the process you used to make such. Please post up a pic or two of such when you are able. My 57 is still in the interior process but should be finished by the middle of January '21. Thanks again.

Comment

• NickP
        Registered Member
        • Mar 2012

If you have complete and proper dimensions, I can draw one up and generate a pattern in Fusion 360, usable for any proficient sheetmetal shop to whip one up from. If you like, I can do a rendering so you can see the finished part so to speak. Single DIN or double?

Comment

• Gmvette
          Registered Member
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Dualfours
          I tried a search with no results so have the question: Has anyone here fabricated a metal replacement for the cardboard insert of the glove box? Am thinking I want to install a aftermarket AM/FM/CD in the glove box of my '57 two door sedan. Would rather have a metal insert for strength and rigidity to bear the weight of such. Any pics of such or tips trying to fab a replacement would be appreciated.

I did exactly that. I took the cardboard box apart and flattened it out to use as a pattern. Scribed it out on 1/32” thick stainless steel. Formed it up and welded the corners. The back is cut out to allow the stereo to fit in. Along with a couple braces for the stereo. Sad thing is I never use the stereo. BBC is just too loud.

Comment

• Dualfours
            Registered Member
            • Jul 2020

Thanks, thinking that may be my best bet. Not a must do now situation as the 57 is still in interior jail. This Kung Fu Flu has slowed up getting trim parts and material quite a bit. Did the 1/32'' material seem structurally sound enough to bear the weight okay? S/S may be alright, don't think I would try that with aluminum. Have some really small screws and lock nuts, maybe that would work also since don't have a welder.

Comment

Working...