X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ykf7b0
    Registered Member
    • Sep 2020

55 Auto to Manual Conversion

I am trying to source clutch linkage parts for my 55 and I want to remove the th350 and install a 4 speed manual. My car already has the manual pedal assembly and the shaft on the frame for the z bar. Are the z bars the same for all Chevy?s or are they year/body style specific? I have an opportunity to buy a complete set up from a 71 Chevelle. Can I use it?
    Jesus is my pilot!
  • markm
    Registered Member
    • May 2012

They are model specific, even different between 55 and 57, I would use all 57 stuff if possible.

Comment

• Rick_L
      Registered Member
      • Apr 2012

Chevelle parts won't work.

The clutch linkage parts are different for each year, 55-57. Far as I know only the 57 stuff has the whole set reproduced.

The part of the 55-56 sets that's not reproduced is the clutch fork and the linkage rod that goes from the z-bar to the clutch fork. However you can use the 57 clutch fork and lower linkage rod with the 55 or 56 z-bar. The 57 fork is a better design anyway. East Coast Chevy in PA sells the parts.
      Last edited by Rick_L; 12-24-2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• ykf7b0
        Registered Member
        • Sep 2020

Thanks to you both!!! Merry Christmas!!!!
        Jesus is my pilot!

Comment

• Rustaddict
          Registered Member
          • Jun 2015

Here's another suggestion to buy new 57 clutch linkage and be done with it

Comment

• Rick_L
            Registered Member
            • Apr 2012

The problem with using a 57 z-bar in a 55-56 car is the pivot ball is larger on a 57, so a 57 z-bar will have slop on the smaller 55-56 pivot ball unless you make a bushing or change the pivot ball.

Comment

• markm
              Registered Member
              • May 2012

The bell crank or Z bar on my 55 had to have the inner bar cut off and moved out to clear the oil filter as 55 did not have one.

Comment

• ykf7b0
                Registered Member
                • Sep 2020

I have just bought a Borg Warner Super T-10 four speed for my 55 but I need a shifter assembly for a bench seat. Recommendations with numbers?
                Jesus is my pilot!

Comment

• Rocketman
                  Registered Member
                  • Jul 2017

If you are going to keep the bench seat you will need the C handle made for Tri 5's. You can find some used ones on ebay. Then you will have to have the correct mounting brackets for a T-10.
                  Glenn Hargrove

USAF (66-70) Viet Nam Vet

Comment

• ykf7b0
                    Registered Member
                    • Sep 2020

Any idea if this ITM shifter that came on the trans will work. I knew I needed the C handle (thanks!) no matter which shifter assembly was used. I just want to get the correct assembly that works with my bench seat and aligns correctly.
                    Last edited by ykf7b0; 12-27-2020, 05:30 PM.
                    Jesus is my pilot!

Comment

• markm
                      Registered Member
                      • May 2012

I own a couple ITM shifters for second gen Camaros they suck in their original application and are not worth the powder and lead to blow them to hell. My # match 74 Z28 was missing this pile of shit in 80 when I bought it.

Comment

• ykf7b0
                        Registered Member
                        • Sep 2020

Mine seems to shift the trans just fine and if I can use it in the 55 I will. I'm thinking of modifying a Hurst C shifter handle to fit the ITM.
                        Last edited by ykf7b0; 12-27-2020, 08:59 PM.
                        Jesus is my pilot!

Comment

• markm
                          Registered Member
                          • May 2012

I serously doubt something designed for a second gen Camaro with bucket seats will clear a bench seat in a 55. More inportant is how handle moves up and down for reverse. The C handle Hurst does not do that.

Comment

• Rustaddict
                            Registered Member
                            • Jun 2015

The thing is, the clearance is so tight between the floor and the bench seat that it dosent really leave much room for the modifications you'd need to do. If your money is tight, it is possible to find the correct shifter used. Make sure to get one with the correct stick. Hurst sells a bolt on C stick they claim works, but people who have tried them say they are arent built right to clear the seat.

Comment

• Rick_L
                              Registered Member
                              • Apr 2012

Hurst sells a bolt on C stick they claim works
                              Actually, Hurst doesn't claim the bolt on C stick works. Inexperienced and unknowing customers and tire kickers claim it works. It doesn't. There is a reason that the shifter Hurst sells as a shifter for a 55-57 bench seat car doesn't have a bolt on stick like virtually all other Hurst shifters - it won't clear the seat unless they built it that way. If you have a bolt on stick it will interfere with the bottom of the seat frame.

Comment

Working...