Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: How is this done?

Member #:115

How is this done?

I am working on building a console for my Nomad and want to run carpet partway up the sides. I have looked at a lot of interior pics, and i don't understand how this is done. How is the top of the carpet terminated and contained? See the pics below. I'm wondering if I need to design something into the structure, or if the upholstery shop will add something to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Seems to me there are two ways. Both involve the carpet being on one panel or part, and the leather or vinyl on another.

#1, the carpet is bonded to a piece of wood or fiberboard, and it's folded over the edge and bonded on the backside too.

#2, the edge of the upholstered panel overlaps the edge of the carpeted panel by some amount, 3/4" or so. The carpet wouldn't have to be folded over the edege of its panel but it would need to be on the upholstered panel.

Member #:528
    Attach it to the console and the fibers will mesh together when you mount it on top of the carpet. Too much work to try to wrap the carpet up on the console.
    Jim
    Just because it's old dosen't make it a classic:
    and just because it's rare doesn't make it cool.
    Picks & Vids

Member #:115
    The carpet is fairly thick, and will have a "raw" edge. I'm trying to figure out how they keep that raw edge from showing. I don't want my console to look like a box bolted on top of the carpet. It seems like there must be a slot for the carpet to fit into, that's wrapped with leather.

I am probably going to build the bottom of the console out of a sheet of aluminum, and the sides out of MDF. Most of my electrical stuff will be in the console, and making the bottom out of aluminum gives me a good place to mount and ground things. I can shape the MDF a lot easier than I can shape metal too. I plan to bring some of the outside color of the car into the console, somehow.

I'm designing a full-length console that will go between the rear seats too....but it will be narrower in the back since my tubs take up space too. The rear seats will be built from scratch, and they will attach to a new seat framework that I haven't designed yet.

My objective here is to build most of the structure so I can save the $10K that an upholstery shop would charge me to do it. I hope to get a $20K interior job for $10K or so by building a lot of the structure myself.

I have a few ideas, and plan to incorporate a "box" and lid out of a Lexus into it. Wish I could have Chip Foose design something for me. I could probably build it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:516
    Hello Chevnut,

It looks like there may be two pieces to the console an upper and lower. The carpet on the base looks wrapped 90 degrees over the edge, and then the upper section has the upholstery wrapped 90 degrees around the bottom edge of the upper. Just a thought I really don't know.

Registered Member

Member #:1003
    hi everyone, new to the forum but have had my 56 belair for 25 years. the raw edge of the carpet may need a vinyl strip sewn to it for a finished look. you can take the cut piece of carpet to the local upholstery shop and have them sew the vinyl strip to it. they may have the appropriate color in the scrap pile, or some of the bigger fabric stores are keeping a small selection of vinyl in stock. my has been doing upholstery for 25 years so if i can be of help let me know.