Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    You're tenacity is paying off nicely Richard! That front end is the bomb.
    thanks Paul, it's getting there, a little at a time. LOL

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post
    Awesome work, going to be beautiful Vette when ya Git-R-Done!

Looks like it might be on the road this year sometime.
    thanks 6 Shooter, we're trying to finish everything up, getting ready for the interior shop. They will probably have it for 6 months. May still have it done this year.

Member #:3217
    That will give you 6 months to do the Camaro..

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    That will give you 6 months to do the Camaro..
    Are you helping me daily? That's a lot optimistic!

Registered Member

No ECU fault codes

For these crate motors, the MIL light comes on with power applied to the ECU before starting the motor. When the motor is started, the light goes out if there are no faults. Given this situation, I wanted to verify there were no faults logged before initially starting the motor, or identify any faults needing to be fixed.

The ECU instructions for the gen v LT1 in the 59 Corvette, and the LS3/525 in the 56 Chevy, say it requires a GM TECH2-compatible reader. In addition, the LS3/525 instructions say a 2009 Cadillac CTS LSA configuration will work.

We couldn't find a GM TECH2 code reader for much less than a thousand or two, but the LAUNCH unit has the Cadillac configuration, and it was a few hundred dollars. Even though the LT1 instructions didn't mention the Cad configuration, I took a chance and ordered the unit (it would work on the 56, regardless).

IMG_1664.jpeg

We received the unit and loaded the online updates. We turned car power on, plugged the LAUNCH into the DLC port and selected the Cadillac configuration. It connected, read out the ECU data, and there were no fault codes. We're good to go. There are a few more details to finish up, but we're close to starting the motor. With any luck, it'll be running next week.

One last comment, I looked online for updated gen v LT1 ECU instructions and the ones I found had deleted the GM TECH2 statement. It was replaced with the statement to go to your GM dealer and they would read out the ECU. Not too helpful...

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738