Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Old air AC products vs Vintage air

Registered Member

Member #:4840

Old air AC products vs Vintage air

I have had vintage air in my old 55. I was thinking of putting another vintage air system in my 56 bel air, but came across someone who recommended an old air products AC system. Seems like they have a hurricane direct fit system that is a few hundred dollars cheaper than the vintage air system. Has anyone had the old air products AC system? If so, any issues? Was it an easy system to install without any modifications? Thanks in advance for your input.

Member #:3249
    IIRC, over on the Chevelle site, I've seen this discussed several times, usually because someone did a system other that Vintage Air and was complaining about it.
    I've done 5 of the Vintage Air systems and don't have any complaints. May be a few extra bucks, but I think worth it.
    Recently drove to Laughlin NV for a car show and back, over 700 miles, with outside temps in the 90's and 100's, and was comfortable in my 56.

Member #:3217
    My ONLY complaints with the Vintage Air systems are: 1) Their unit occupies the space required for a factory radio and glove compartment! (and that sucks in my opinion).. Does the Old Air system address those issues?? if not, then I'd stick with the VA system.. It doesn't take many problems to erase the joy of saving a few hundred $$...

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    My ONLY complaints with the Vintage Air systems are: 1) Their unit occupies the space required for a factory radio and glove compartment!
    They do supply a new glove compartment box with the unit but it's a lot smaller. I didn't think it interfered with the radio and have never heard that.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    A few hundred cheaper? No way. Cheaper maybe, but not by that much. If you see a price discrepancy like that, the cheaper system is not as complete.

Registered Member

Member #:4840
    Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it. It doesn't look like old air systems takes away the glove box like vintage air does, but the unit under the dash looks considerably larger than the vintage air unit did.

Member #:530
    Either one needs space under the dash for the main unit. I have the VA unit in my 57 and yes, it takes a portion of the space used by the glove box insert. I have not had issues installing VA systems though. I think you'll be satisfied if you go that route.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.