Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on ididit column tilt/shift vs CPP/Speedway column tilt/shift

Registered Member

Member #:4840

advice on ididit column tilt/shift vs CPP/Speedway column tilt/shift

I was just wondering if anyone had installed a CPP or Speedway column tilt/shift steering column/wheel? Has anyone seen any issues with either the speedway or CPP steering columns? I know Ididit has a great reputation, just know that they are a few hundred dollars more and seeing if the steering column is something I want to save a little on the budget or not? I was thinking of upgrading to power steering with a 500 series box, 350 engine long block water pump (original belt type of set up). Any advice as always is appreciated. Thanks.

Member #:3217
    Beware buying a 'chinese' produced "TILT" steering column, that *may* use a plastic coupler in the tilt mechanism.. the CPP tilt column is from china...

Member #:3249
    I consider this a safety item. I don't skimp on safety stuff. I have an Ididit column in my 66 Chevelle and my 56 210. I've got one on it's way for my son-in-law's 67 Chevelle. I've previously seen complaints about the Chinese stuff on other sites. I wouldn't take the chance. This is not an area to save money on.
    My 56 came to me with a 605 box, and it doesn't leak (yet). 500, I'm told, is a better box and, I'm told, bolts in place of the 605. I have a 350 with a long water pump. I'm using regular v-belt pulleys with no issues. Is that what you ae asking?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by miller56 View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone had installed a CPP or Speedway column tilt/shift steering column/wheel? Has anyone seen any issues with either the speedway or CPP steering columns? I know Ididit has a great reputation, just know that they are a few hundred dollars more and seeing if the steering column is something I want to save a little on the budget or not? I was thinking of upgrading to power steering with a 500 series box, 350 engine long block water pump (original belt type of set up). Any advice as always is appreciated. Thanks.
    I think the Flaming River column may be a bit less expensive than the Ididit column. They offer it in polished or mill finished stainless that can be painted. I don't know anything about the CPP or Speedway columns. I used a FR column and pushed it as far forward as possible to keep the steering wheel at a comfortable distance. I sat in a friend's 57 with an Ididit column and the steering whee was way too close to me for comfort.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:516
    I bought a used CPP tilt column from a custom shop up in the Sacramento Ca. area, it was changed out for the customer to a better quality column! I was told not to use the column by people on this site and I did some research on it. I found out it was not good because of the plastic ball for the tilt mechanism. I wrote to CPP about it and if they can fix it to make it good or if there's a part I could replace it with!!! I have not heard for them so I have a chrome wall art for my garage!!!

Member #:3217
    I doubt CPP gets many requests for 'fixes' from people who die or are injured from a failed CPP tilt column!

SID: Thanks for reposting that article. That is exactly what we were referring to in criticizing the chinese tilts!

Member #:1707
    Sid
    Thanks for posting that - the NZ guys did a ood job of detecting the faults.
    Re CPP, or as I call them CraPP; Troy's experience is similar to the experience shown by their response on the other site to questions about their columns.
    Their rep on the site got angry at being questioned about them and responded at one stage that he was sick of posting the "correct" details on that site.
    I went thru all his posts and could not find anything where he provided any sort of evidence that their columns were not faulty. He did a dummy spit and has not been on that site since.
    And since then the defective pitman arms were released, and they continue to sell a arms with crap ball joints.
    Shop with them at your peril
    Cheers, Des

Member #:4391
    I can see why Aussienomad refers to CPP as CraPP. A mechanic friend had me buy a CPP hydro boost, master cylinder, and proportioning valve for our '56. When the hydro boost was installed, it wouldn't fully release the brakes unless I shutoff the engine. CPP said to send back the unit and they would replace it with a new one. Instead they repaired the original and sent it back. I called them and questioned why they didn't replace it with a new unit. They denied telling me that they were going to do that, and they claimed that they hadn't had a new one delivered to them in months. I installed the rebuilt unit and it's worked fine. About 2 months after installing the system, their proportioning valve crapped out and locked up the brakes. They did send me a new replacement. So far the only part that hasn't failed is the master cylinder. The car now has 553 miles on it since the system was installed. My car has a Flaming River tilt column and it's worked OK, except for the 4 way flasher switch, which acts up at times. Sometimes I have to push it in 2 or 3 times before it will stay activated. That's a minor irritant that I can live with for the few times it will be used.

Member #:115
    Is it CPP or CCP?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast